01 axles on a 94

94TurboDiesel

Reaction score
So i have been wanting to do a solid axle swap on my 94 ever since i got it. but i could never find axles that fit in my budget for the truck. but searching craigslist last night i found a set of axles off of a 01 super duty that i can pick up for 500 so if anybody has info about this swap and pictures that would help i could definitely use the help should be picking up the axles next weekend

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
I developed this mod using SD springs and a RS kit 12-13 years ago and have helped thousands perform this mod. It will transform a OBS trucks ride. Actually will ride better than any stock SD

We also developed the 99-10 axle swaps with suspension for the OBS.

So if you want to use 99-04 axles in your obs we have what needed..

PM me your email and I'll get you info and pictures.

Just a note you will end up higher NO WAY around this. Will clear 35" tires when done.

m j

Reaction score
I dont think taking IFS off a truck is going to improve ride quality
leaf springs just do not ride that well
if ride is all you are after a custom airbag or coil spring setup on your existing axle and some steering correction would be the way to go
use a radius arm like the 1/2 tons

if you are after better rear brakes then the 99-04 axles are a way to go but you need to use the 99-04 rims as well so make sure they are included in your parts acquisitions

better ride needs better springs

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
You might want to ride in a correctly setup OBS before making statements about the ride quality not being better than a TTB.

Krause

Reaction score
You might want to ride in a correctly setup OBS before making statements about the ride quality not being better than a TTB.

Cary, are the spring perches on SD front axles the same width as OBS Dana 50/60's?
Also, I read that front axle out of 99-04 SD's arnt necessarily D60's?

-Krause

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
I dont think taking IFS off a truck is going to improve ride quality
leaf springs just do not ride that well
if ride is all you are after a custom airbag or coil spring setup on your existing axle and some steering correction would be the way to go
use a radius arm like the 1/2 tons

if you are after better rear brakes then the 99-04 axles are a way to go but you need to use the 99-04 rims as well so make sure they are included in your parts acquisitions

better ride needs better springs

Realistically, I don't think ride quality can get much worse than a IFS/TTB D50. Teeth chattering over bumps, no matter the speed and all sorts of ghost pops and cracks under articulation.

GreenMachine

Reaction score
Cary, are the spring perches on SD front axles the same width as OBS Dana 50/60's?
Also, I read that front axle out of 99-04 SD's arnt necessarily D60's?

-Krause

I was told the front axle under my 2000 F250 was a D50. And not a D60

m j

Reaction score
if u compare stock ttb to worked on straight axke the worked on one will win.
doing work on both the ttb will win a ride quality contest.

i am not trying to make a sale, just stating fact.
an RSK kit spends a ton of $$ on things that do not address the OP stated goal and parameters.

softer rate springs and better shocks is probably all he needs

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
TTB's on Trucks...never will ride good..soft springs will make it worce as they will not support a diesel.

OBS F350 ride better than f250's..its a fact stock or not.

The OP wants to get rid of the TTB and asked about using SD 99-04 axles...as he can get them cheap.

Last edited:

m j

Reaction score
"TTB's on Trucks...never will ride good..soft springs will make it worce as they will not support a diesel"? now you are just being foolish. lower spring rates is pretty much SOTP ride quality.

stated goals = "not looking for a lifted look just better ride quality"
your kit = really tall

RSK doesnt do what OP asked for. but I dont think I have seen any off the shelf that addresses what he wants.
low = flat or negative arc springs if he stays leaf

where if he stays TTB, radius arm using a johnny joint in the stock rear spring mount and upper buckets from a 1/2 ton with 400# coils (or a nice airbag) would keep his same ride hieght and put him in luxury car comfort.
only thing he doesnt get is the rear disc brakes and new bolt pattern rims.
the d50 he is swapping in doesnt gain him much over the d50 he already has, but it does cost him his rims.
always wanted to try that but I have never owned a TTB vehicle, and I like big tires = tall truck

not too many solid axle caddys and lincolns out there

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
TTB sucks.....

If I get a obs 250 again I will do an SD axle swap..... Yes it will lift it some but my SD rides better and stops a hell of alot better then my obs did.

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
MJ...just how many OBS trucks suspensions have you modded TTD or D60..I've done more than I want to think about and have helped Thousands over the last 13 years..

Air bags and 400lbs coils would suck..

And if you consider this tall...:confused:then guess we differ.

You MUST raise a truck enough to have compression travel..major flaw in the F250 as their isn't any..then add the fact the only way the axle moves is by twisting the shackle and spring bushings..destroying them in as little as 20k miles...add camber swings and the resulting tire wear...IMO its a piece of **** design that Ford finally saw fit to stop making.

TTB is great modded for a off road truck that doesn't care about these issues and the Camber radical changes that occur.

Attachments

• IMG_4979.jpg
    IMG_4979.jpg
    648.2 KB · Views: 69

94TurboDiesel

Reaction score
obswiz, the ride height on that truck looks just about perfect, i guess what i meant by not looking for a lift. was the fact that im not looking to do some ridicolous **** to my truck just want it to look good and function even better than it does now. and i couldnt agree more that the twin i design is terrible, thats why im working on getting this swap done. the jaring your teeth out of your head every time i hit a bump dosent work with my daughter in her car seat in the back so its gotta go

Latest posts

Members online