01 build issues

Smokin 6.0

Reaction score
I've been working on a 01 for a customer and am having issues with it after an injector failure. Truck was all stock before this build. 237k miles truck cracked a nozzle on a stock injector, pulled all.Injectors and had a set of 160/80's built by daves diesel in Angola,IN. After the install it ran pretty good. Customer decided to add a BD pedestal style Turbo. That's when the issues started. Daves diesel wrote custom tunes for the Injectors also. Nk the truck smokes about 90% of the time your foots on the pedal obviously the more RPM the more smoke. And it seems to be about as fast as it was when it was stock. Any ideas

Powerstroker7.3

Reaction score
Possibly check for a bad boost leak from installing the new turbo but yeah the running sounds pretty crappy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smokin 6.0

Reaction score
Hes not s huge shop but has done his fair share. Now if he can or can't build them that i don't know. The customer supplied the parts it wasn't my choice. But now I'm kinda stuck with making it work I guess

mandkole

Reaction score
Im going back to the first post where it was said that it didn't start to run bad until the turbo was put on. Is this correct, or did it run bad after the injs were put in?

Powerstroker7.3

Reaction score
We're new tunes made for the turbo or were they the same ones from when the injectors were put in?

Smokin 6.0

Reaction score
Well it has always ran rough. I think for a truck with 160's and not bone stock. It just has a BD charger which I'm sure is comparable to a 38r. I wouldn't think the timing would need to be changed that much

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
You run a compression test? A cracked nozzle can burn up a piston in a hurry... the other 7 injectors could be overfueling trying to compensate.

Also check your pressure pids, and map hose. Maybe you got an issue there. The 6.0s like to seriously overfuel and run chitty if you got a bad pressure sensor.

Powerstroker7.3

Reaction score
160s should be pretty easy to tune. If they ran rough from the start you might want to look at the injectors to make sure you don't have a cracked nozzle. I had one crack and it smoked more and had less power then the nozzle broke off and hydro locked the motor

1badpsd

Reaction score
Wastegate actuator need tightened? Just cause its a new turbo doesn't mean its adjusted right. I remember nycowboy put on a 38r and was having similar issues and the actuator just needed tightend

Latest posts

Members online