01 no start in park but it will in neutral

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
My buddy just bought an 01 7.3 auto, this morning he said it wouldn't start in park, as in no crank at all. He put it in neutral and it started. It has only happened this one time so far. What could it be?

Garrett

probably getting paid at work to post this from my bionic

average

Reaction score
Mine did the same thing a little while ago but actually ended up being the starter, unrelated to it being in neutral or park. So maybe beat the starter a bit to make sure it was park/neutral related.

Otherwise could be the transmission range sensor, play in the linkage.

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
Trans range sensor? Is that in the trans?

Does the neutral safety switch work for park and neutral? It started fine in neutral.

Garrett

probably getting paid at work to post this from my bionic

Last edited:

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
Trans range sensor? Is that in the trans?

Does the neutral safety switch work for park and neutral? It started fine in neutral.

I believe everyone is calling the "trans range sensor" & "neutral safety switch" the same thing. It will only allow the truck to start in park or neutral. They do go bad & won't allow the truck to start with the key.

JMart

Reaction score
My 01 will do that sometimes. I have slop in my column selector though and it doesn't go all the way into P. Actually it did that the first time I went to start it after I got home with it the day I bought it. It has done it to just about everyone that has driven it and doesn't know about it. It still gets me from time to time too. I can either take it out of park and put it back in but usually just drop down to neutral and fire it up.

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
OK, where is it located? The column or the trans?

It's located down on the drivers side of the tranny on the linkage.

My 01 will do that sometimes. I have slop in my column selector though and it doesn't go all the way into P. Actually it did that the first time I went to start it after I got home with it the day I bought it. It has done it to just about everyone that has driven it and doesn't know about it. It still gets me from time to time too. I can either take it out of park and put it back in but usually just drop down to neutral and fire it up.

:whs: Another possibly, I had a 02 at work that would do the same thing if the shifter wasn't pushed all the way up.

Arisley

Reaction score
Where the shifter mounts to the column there is two torx head bolts. They like to come loose. Tighten them up.

Sent from my truck while eating, adjusting the radio and passing a Mustang sideways.

JMart

Reaction score
Where the shifter mounts to the column there is two torx head bolts. They like to come loose. Tighten them up.

Sent from my truck while eating, adjusting the radio and passing a Mustang sideways.

I think I found one on the floor the other day. I was wondering where that came from and why my shift lever felt like it was out of place. Good thing I don't drive the truck much. Add that to my list of things to fix.

BigAlsPSD

Reaction score

X's 2 or 3 LOL

loose_gearshift_bolts.jpg

Latest posts