02 Hot No Start

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
I've done the searching, but want to double check my plan of action before digging into it. 2002/F250 320k miles on 7.3/4r100. Truck will start when cold, or sitting longer than an hour or two. Running it 1/2mile down the road to fuel up, if you shut it off it won't restart, you have to let it cool down again. Problem started last week. No distingushable smoke while cranking but can hear fuel pump running. Things that have been done over the past 6-8 months whether routine or not:
New batteries
Fuel bowl, hpop, IPR, turbo all rebuilt
New valve cover gaskets
New starter

Things done since issue arose:
New cps (didn't have a spare anyways)
IPR resealed (internal oring was damaged)
Fresh oil change with valveoline blue.

I do not have the ability to look at Pids so I am assuming my next course of action will be to remove valve covers and (hopefully?) Find the Injector(s) that are leaking oil? Any other suggestions? I have a buddy I could take it two to look at Pids, but I'm not sure if it will make the 30min drive as the last time it happened I was actually going down the street and it just died...

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
I have the covers off and engine running. No leaks are apparent. Think I'm going to put covers back on and take it to my buddies to use scan tool. I'd do rings, but with 320k on what I assume are stock injectors (I'm 4th owner) I might as well do injectors but don't have the $$$ right now...

David N

Reaction score
Sounds like what mine is doing. Im leaning towards injector orings but mine only have about 5k miles on them...

Either that or the low pressure oil pump is going bad.

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
So I did not take it to my buddies as it stalled as soon as the engine was hot. Everything kept me thinking back to the IPR so I performed a little experiment. I removed the solenoid from the ipr, that was extremely hot from being on the engine, and hooked it up to a multimeter set to do a continuity check. In the video you'll see that while hot the solenoid has no continuity but once it cools off enough it regains continuity. So while im able to start a cold engine, as soon as the engine warms up, the solenoid gets heat-soaked and fails.

P.S. the voice you hear is my 72 year old father that didnt understand exactly what I was doing.

https://youtu.be/_Gq8R8nblzE

Ordered a new IPR from my work and will install it tomorrow.

Last edited:

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
Don't know, I'm the 4th owner And its the one that was in there when I bought it. I just picked up the Standard Parts IPR, took the solenoid off and put it on the IPR in the truck and its running, hasn't stalled yet. I'll leave the Standard Parts IPR in the truck as a spare.

79jasper

Reaction score
In the first post you said it had a new IPR, so I just figured you were the one that changed it. Lol
Probably a cheap parts store brand. Aka chinesium.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
If the IPR doesn't fix it, remove your fuel bowl cap and see if you have oil in the fuel. If you do, you can bet on it being an injector o-ring problem.

79jasper

Reaction score
Oh. Lol
Yeah, it seems it's either the orings or the solenoid. The rest can get sludge in it, but that's about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

BS Hauler

Reaction score
My 02 did that at about 65,000 miles. It would start just fine and you might drive it 5 miles or 20 miles and it would just shut itself off. You could crank on it all you wanted and it would not fire. If you let it sit for about an hour it would start right back up. The solenoid was going bad.

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
Yes, it was the solenoid. I have the rest of the new one in my glove box. It's been doing great, has had more power as well! However, I have noticed that once and a while, I start it and runs great for about 2-3 min and then it hiccups, just once, and then it's fine for the rest of the day. I may put my old cps back in and see if that clears the problem up...

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
Sorry for the late update, but kind of forgot till I saw another similar thread posted.

Truck runs fine. I still haven't put the rest of the new IPR in, but it also hasn't hiccuped or stalled since so I'm thinking maybe there was air in the HPOP lines?

Thanks for the help guys, I'm sure I'll be asking a few more questions when its time for Injectors (321k on stock injectors as far as I know)!

mandkole

Reaction score
yeah its easy to get air in the lines on that deal-- the IPR is moving oil to drain and the injectors are consuming it..

Latest posts

Members online