03 6.0 issues

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
03 6.0 f350 still has egr cooler in tact, engine has around 130k miles, truck came in with bad bearings in rear end, ball joints, and said it had a surge to it at about 45-55 mph. Rebuilt rear end, replaced ball joints on driver side and went for test drive. It would barely get out of its own way, acted like it was starving for fuel. Also noticed when in park it started studdering/missing at about 1200 and tops out at 2500. Changed fuel filters and checked fuel pressure, it was at 32-34 psi. Picked up the blue spring kit for the regulator and installed it, now fuel pressure is at 60-64 psi. Still runs like crap and still won't rev over 2500, and progressively gotten worse along with slow startup. Not a long crank, just took a second to pick up and run. Had a small oil leak and the icp sensor was cracked and leaking. While I was there I pulled the ipr to check the screen, it was clean and good. Reinstalled ipr and pressure tested system with air for leaks, couldn't hear anything even after a good 15 min. Reinstalled icp and fired it up, killed it and it busted right off like normal but still will not go over 2500 rpm and acting like it's starving for fuel. Only code was for egr insufficient flow. It has a few injectors that vary from 0 to -4 and a couple that vary from 0 to 4 on the cylinder contribution test. Turbo vanes are cycling because you can hear it through exhaust. I pulled the map sensor tube from intake to check if it was stopped up. And checked ebp tube and sensor, they were clean. When you pull up the data it says n/a on the ebp pressure and voltage. If you put it in gear and stall it it won't even get over 1200 rpm. I'm sure I've missed something but maybe somebody here has some input without throwing parts at it.... I'm stumped and even a couple other guys I know that have been working on 6.0s several years aren't sure what's going on....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
The egr code will set from it running like chit. Did you checkthe air filter? Is the exhaust intact? Disconnect before the cat, i had one kick my ass that was a plugged cat. Also, what is ficm voltage? You may also have injectors.that are not.flowing properly. I had another one kick my ass that would run chitty for about 5 seconds when cold, would smooth out after the 5 seconds, and then wouldnt get out of its own way when driving. Then when it hit some magic temp it was like a switch was flipped and would start running great.

Did youreplace the pigtail with the icp as well? Seen that *** some chit up real good.

As far as your starting, most early trucks i have worked onstart like that.

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
The egr code will set from it running like chit. Did you checkthe air filter? Is the exhaust intact? Disconnect before the cat, i had one kick my ass that was a plugged cat. Also, what is ficm voltage? You may also have injectors.that are not.flowing properly. I had another one kick my ass that would run chitty for about 5 seconds when cold, would smooth out after the 5 seconds, and then wouldnt get out of its own way when driving. Then when it hit some magic temp it was like a switch was flipped and would start running great.

Did youreplace the pigtail with the icp as well? Seen that *** some chit up real good.

As far as your starting, most early trucks i have worked onstart like that.

Even clearing the egr code doesn't help, it may not set it again for a little bit. I have not looked at the filter but ran it with the intake tube disconnected from the filter. Cat is gutted I believe, it sounded hollow and muffler is Mia. Ficm voltage ranges from 47.5 to 49 and input was 13-14. As far as running at different temps, it seems worse when cold. I did not replace the pig tail on the icp, the wires looked to be in good shape. And when it came in it would bust right off when starting.

Using the scanner I can control the ipr. I was testing it one time while running with rpms up where it was running the worst. I could bump the percentage from 25% to 30% or even higher and it would smooth out a good bit. Tried it under load also and it would come to life when bumping ipr percentage up slightly.

Also it has developed a high pitch squeal at higher rpm, sounds similar to a belt slipping. The fan clutch stays mostly locked moving a ton of air. I checked shaft play in the turbo, some side to side but not enough to touch housing. No in and out play at all.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Have you checked the oil level? Ive had a few people bring 6.0's to me with bad nozzles, that filled the crankcase. I had one particular truck i drained 15 gallons of oil/diesel mix out of the motor.

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
Oil level was right at full mark. Oil had recently been changed... But I did find out some new info, the oil he put in it last had some kind of stop leak additive in it..... Now he says the oil temp is showing about 30° higher than coolant... Gonna change the oil out, and it finally threw a cyl 5 contribution fault. so likely it will get an injector, oil cooler, and e gr de lete all at same time...

webb06

Reaction score
What's icp desired vs actual when holding at 2500 rpm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
He said fram or something but it has short cap on it. Changing the oil on it tomorrow and putting motorcraft filter in with rotella 15-40 and some archoil.

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the oil he has in it now, said it has some stop leak additive in it... He had changed it recently, I'm assuming the issues started after the last oil change...

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
Changed the oil this morning, rotella 15/40, bottle of archoil, and motorcraft filter. Runs great now.

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
It didn't seem to bad, it was plenty warm when I changed it... He claimed he had been running barsleak previously with no issues, then tried the lucas stop leak this round and started having issues...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.