04 2wd to 4wd Conversion underway.

Dzlnut

Reaction score
I picked up a 2003 front axle yesterday and the front half of an 04 frame yesterday with springs and all the hardware attached. I will be starting the swap today. I will be taking pictures as I go and will post them up. The transfercase will be added a little later when my wallet heals up a bit.:fordoval:

Dzlnut

Reaction score
Old Stuff, Used Stuff and tear down.

Attachments

• Old front end.jpg
    Old front end.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 109
  • Used stuff.jpg
    Used stuff.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 2wd Removal.jpg
    2wd Removal.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

Dzlnut

Reaction score
Front Spring Hanger, One side done and Dana 60 Hanging ...

Attachments

• Front spring hanger.jpg
    Front spring hanger.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 98
  • One side done.jpg
    One side done.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 92
  • Dana 60 Hanging.jpg
    Dana 60 Hanging.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 97

Dzlnut

Reaction score
Done with the suspension for the most part. I still have to put the front sway bar on, the small links are bent so I will have to fix them. Side note, every bolt hole was on the frame and I never drilled a single one. Every fastener is correct for the part as I had the spare frame. Not a bad job, I started at about 3pm and finished at 10:20pm. Still gotta add the T-Case to my tranny and score a front drive line and also front section of the rear drive line. My wallet needs to heal a bit though and the tough part is done.

Attachments

• Done.jpg
    Done.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 89

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Looks all to familiar! Definitely not as bad of a job as it would seem to be. I think my swap took about 1/2 to 3/4 of a day as well. I gotta thank Ford for leaving all the holes in the frame to make it possible to! :D
I also ended up running my 2wd tranny for about a year with the axle under the front end. About two weeks ago I was finally able to get a t case under the truck to completely finish up the 4x4 swap!

32.jpg

34.jpg

36.jpg

33.jpg

42.jpg

Great job with it by the way! Also did you end up switching out your pitment arm on the steering box for a 4x4 one? That was the one thing I would've missed if it weren't for someone before me figuring out that they are different.

Dzlnut

Reaction score
Looks all to familiar! Definitely not as bad of a job as it would seem to be. I think my swap took about 1/2 to 3/4 of a day as well. I gotta thank Ford for leaving all the holes in the frame to make it possible to! :D
I also ended up running my 2wd tranny for about a year with the axle under the front end. About two weeks ago I was finally able to get a t case under the truck to completely finish up the 4x4 swap!

32.jpg

34.jpg

36.jpg

33.jpg

42.jpg

Great job with it by the way! Also did you end up switching out your pitment arm on the steering box for a 4x4 one? That was the one thing I would've missed if it weren't for someone before me figuring out that they are different.

I had to swap the pitman arm other wise I think it would have hit the trac bar mount. I didn't try it first, I just swapped it. You have any info or pictures of your transfer case install, any of the 2wd 5r110 tranny modifications?

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
I had to swap the pitman arm other wise I think it would have hit the trac bar mount. I didn't try it first, I just swapped it. You have any info or pictures of your transfer case install, any of the 2wd 5r110 tranny modifications?

I swapped mine without trying it first as well.
I'm running a zf6 which is a bit different, I would've had to swap out my output shaft, and the rear case on the 2wd zf6 and I couldn't find either parts. I think you have to do the same with a 2wd 5r110, you might be better off just getting an entire 4x4 5r110. I finally found an entire 4x4 zf6 and swapped out the whole trans. I do have a couple pictures of my tranny swap though.

I plan to add a manual transfer case. The hole in the floor is there, it just has a cover over it.

:whs: I went with a manual tcase and just popped out the panel in the floor and cut away the carpet.

About how much is this conversion costing you?

I ended up with about $1000 into everything to put the dana 60 under the front of the truck (leaf hangers, shackles, leaf springs, trac bar/ mount, and a complete axle). And about $2000 for a 4x4 zf6 transmission with driveshafts to compensate for the different length of the trans.

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0301.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0306.jpg

The next two pictures are the hole in the floor that gets knocked out for a manual tcase.
IMG_0307.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

DSCN0250.jpg

DSCN0251.jpg

DSCN0253.jpg

stonepusher

Reaction score
To convert the 2wd drive 5r to a 4wd you need a 4wd tail shaft, the 4wd tailshaft housing bolts right up too the 2wd trans. When I converted mine I never pulled the trans, just pulled the 2wd housing and shaft out and bolted the 4wd housing and shaft in and bolted the tcase on. Check my thread for pics

Dzlnut

Reaction score
Mine already has the 4wd housing on the back, it has the bolt on driveline flange as well.

Dzlnut

Reaction score
I'll get a picture of it...mine must be a freak of nature, it doesnt have the traditional 2wd tail shaft.

Dzlnut

Reaction score
Rear of my 2wd 5R110

Attachments

• 5r110 tail shaft.jpg
    5r110 tail shaft.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 5r110 tail shaft 2.jpg
    5r110 tail shaft 2.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 5r110 tail shaft 3.jpg
    5r110 tail shaft 3.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 75

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
That looks like the flange to mount a tcase to. Maybe all you need is a tcase and an output shaft for the tranny.

Dzlnut

Reaction score
I dont even think I need an out put, I looked at some trannys on ebay and the shaft has a hole in the end where the 2wd flange bolts on. It looked like the 4wd trannys had the same hole, I'm guessing Ford must have made them the same to cut cost?? Won't know for sure till I go to bolt the t-case on.

stonepusher

Reaction score
I am pretty sure you already have the 4wd tail shaft in there, the 2wd tail shaft housing is a slip yoke and you clearly dont have that, to me it looks like you will be able to bolt the t-case on and get the driveshaft shortend and be ready to rock!

Dzlnut

Reaction score
I am pretty sure you already have the 4wd tail shaft in there, the 2wd tail shaft housing is a slip yoke and you clearly dont have that, to me it looks like you will be able to bolt the t-case on and get the driveshaft shortend and be ready to rock!
That is what I'm hoping!!