04 6.0 hp build

Mudboyzach

Reaction score
Hey everyone been searching around for awhile but just not finding the information I'm looking for. I'm looking for a 550 to 600hp daily driver. Decided to stay vgt for the daily driver part. This is what I've been think kc staged 2, 175cc 75% or 190cc but I don't know on nozzle size with that small of a turbo, what brand of injectors? What about sending the stock ones off to get modded? driven regulated return, fuel system? Fass, air dog, a1000? Do I even need one? How would the intercooler handle the stage 2? How would a nonstudded truck handle the stage 2? I know it will need studs just waiting on them to go. Also would like to be able to tow still on a custom tow tune. My set up so far is egr is gone, gear head custom tunes, atlas 40, 4in downpipe to 5in exhaust, blue spring kit, coolent filter, and rebuild ficm. What's yalls advice?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Charlies stage 2, 190/30s from holders, driven diesel regulated return with fuel bowl derete. I have not run an a1000, but my regular air dog took a dump, been having good luck with the new 4g sofar. I made 615 on water meth on the dyno, and had track times to back it up. Truck towed 15k easily with a good tow tune. One that locks out overdrive with tow haul is very nice and recommended. The water meth was good for about 40hp, as i had it still jetted for stock, and decided to leave it there for towing. The tow tune i have only makes like 400-450 horse, which is about what i had stock tuned from idp.

This is a very nice running, clean running setup. Gets kinda smokey way up top, as the pw is very long to dump the injectors. But thissetup also passed smog on stock tune, and tows clean and good.

Merc82

Reaction score
I run Holder's built 190/30s and a Stage 2 VGT. It is a great combination. I run a 6.7 pump and a custom regulated return to back it up. I run a little water meth and a CSF 6028 intercooler to go along with it. Some other supporting mods and tuning as well. Very versatile setup.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I havent. I had him bump sizes, just for power on tap the last time i built my motor. His customer service is excellent, turn around time is about a week typically after he gets them. Warren also makes good injectors, but my buddy waited 6-8 weeks for his. He was pissed. The shop we deal with said that was kind of typical for warren.

Mudboyzach

Reaction score
So I'm on the right track with what I got listed? How the stock trans hold the power? How long did it live? How reliable is this set up?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Yes you are on the right track, it will definitely be a good running setup. Trans will live for a bit with good tuning. Mine slips in all but my race tune and my reduced fuel street tune that idp has a chit ton of line pressure in. It is definitelt over what the trans was designed for, but life excpectancy has a lot to do with tuning. I dynoed 1037tq at the wheels, and these are designed to hold 1100 at the crank. LOL.

From what ive read gear head has the best trans tuning. Ive personally never tried their tunes, but its on the list.

Mudboyzach

Reaction score
I love my gear head tunes the trans shifting is spot on. I like it so much I havnt wanted to try anothers. I dyno mine and made 470hp and 805ftlbs with the set up I have now. Should I go with a turbo first or a return system? which would get me more power out of the set up I have now?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
A turbo would gve you more power, and clean up smoke. I would wait till you are doing studs, as the return is kind of a pain to do. You need to plumb in the back of the heads by the up pipes for it. Once everything is apart with the heads off its nice and easy.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
They'll handle it for a little while... LOL. If i remember right, it was making mid 30s. May have maxxed my 35psi gauge on the race tune. Dont remember off hand. The stage 3 on the other hand.... that about makes my boost gauge hit 0 again... LOL :ford:

Corys6.0

Reaction score
I love my gear head tunes the trans shifting is spot on. I like it so much I havnt wanted to try anothers. I dyno mine and made 470hp and 805ftlbs with the set up I have now. Should I go with a turbo first or a return system? which would get me more power out of the set up I have now?

How long or hard have you been running that kind of power unstudded?

Latest posts

Members online