04 6.0 No Start. New HPOP

olyellaferd

Reaction score
I have an 04 6.0. The truck was running low on fuel one day. Low fuel light was on. Filled the tank full and made it about 15 miles down the road and it died all of a sudden. Wouldn't restart. Towed it home and found it was throwing an ICP Low code. I believe it was a p2291. So I checked the FICM and was getting 48.5v. IPR Screen was fine. So I went to air test the HPOP. Air was coming out of the front seal on the HPOP so I bought a new one to put in. Put the new HPOP in with a new oil filter, oil, and both fuel filters. Went to crank the truck and it's not starting. While I'm cranking it shows normal oil pressure on the dash gauge. There is no longer a p2291 code and after cranking and while the key is just in the on position it shows that I have no fuel and the low fuel light is on. I'll go through the checklist tomorrow but any suggestions beforehand would be much appreciated. Thanks.

olyellaferd

Reaction score
Also the low fuel relay isn't flipped either. While in there I did the PSE egr delete. I don't have a tuner yet but was going to get one soon to clear the egr system.

webb06

Reaction score
I have an 04 6.0. The truck was running low on fuel one day. Low fuel light was on. Filled the tank full and made it about 15 miles down the road and it died all of a sudden. Wouldn't restart. Towed it home and found it was throwing an ICP Low code. I believe it was a p2291. So I checked the FICM and was getting 48.5v. IPR Screen was fine. So I went to air test the HPOP. Air was coming out of the front seal on the HPOP so I bought a new one to put in. Put the new HPOP in with a new oil filter, oil, and both fuel filters. Went to crank the truck and it's not starting. While I'm cranking it shows normal oil pressure on the dash gauge. There is no longer a p2291 code and after cranking and while the key is just in the on position it shows that I have no fuel and the low fuel light is on. I'll go through the checklist tomorrow but any suggestions beforehand would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Get a scanner on it to see how much icp you're building. That'll help a lot

olyellaferd

Reaction score
Would it still be not building enough to start but enough to clear the p2291 code you think? Also will a scangauge read icp?

Last edited:

olyellaferd

Reaction score
K I was able to get a scangauge on it and I'm showing that Key On Engine Off. IPR 14.8, SYC 0, ICP 1, FMP 47.5. While cranking I am getting IPR 84.7, SYC 1, ICP 10, FMP 48. I'm showing normal oil pressure on the dash while cranking so I'm pretty sure my LPOP is good. I am thinking of putting a new IPR in it but don't want to just throw parts at it.

Last edited:

webb06

Reaction score
K I was able to get a scangauge on it and I'm showing that Key On Engine Off. IPR 14.8, SYC 0, ICP 1, FMP 47.5. While cranking I am getting IPR 84.7, SYC 1, ICP 10, FMP 48. I'm showing normal oil pressure on the dash while cranking so I'm pretty sure my LPOP is good. I am thinking of putting a new IPR in it but don't want to just throw parts at it.

You can't just go off codes, you need data. With icp only coming to 10 psi I'd throw an ipr valve on it. If you want to test it then repressurize the high side oil system and close the ipr valve either with some jumper wires on a scanner

olyellaferd

Reaction score
Sounds good. I'll get a new IPR on Monday. The International parts dealer here in town sells the navistar one. Will that work? Or should I go to Ford?

olyellaferd

Reaction score
Sounds good. This is my first diesel and I'm always super picky with parts and want to make sure nothing but the best.

olyellaferd

Reaction score
Put a new IPR in it today and am still getting the same readings I was earlier. IPR is pulling 84.7% and the IPC never gets above 10 psi

ghohouston

Reaction score
Usually anytime we have one reading extremely low icp it's the ipr valve.

The leak would have to be wide open to not build any pressure at all.

Bad pump is possible though

In my experiences, a bad ipr usually yields 250-300ish psi icp cranking. If he's only getting 10 psi, and that number is actually correct(assuming icp sensor is reading correct) he may have a lpop issue. I'd pull the oil filter cap and press the drain back valve down and have someone crank it

webb06

Reaction score
Just for fun unplug the icp sensor and crank it. See if it starts.

If not then you definitely need to repressurize the system. And check the low side like said above

Latest posts

Members online