04 Oil Leak Help - Engine Valley

Rogue1987

Reaction score
Hoping ya all can give me a bit of advice. I have a 2004 F350 with a 6.0 A while back it suddenly developed a substantial oil leak, it was running down the back side of the engine. I replaced the hpop cover seal thinking that's where the leak was but I seem to have been wrong.

With it running and climbing all over it it seems like it's either leaking from the oil return line off of the turbo or the front of the hpop cover. Here's what's got me confused:
It doesn't leak a drop if the rpms are over about 1k. If the rpms are lower than that there's a lake of oil under the turbo. Does this point to one spot leaking over another?

I'm going to go start tearing it down, kinda hoping to find a torn o ring on the return pipe so I don't have to pull the intake off again, but it is what it is. I'm thankful for any advice.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Rogue1987

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I tore it down and replaced the hpop cover seal (made sure to get it as clean as possible) and the turbo oil return line orings and it's brought my leak down to a few drops after it sat and ran for 45 minuites. After looking at I still have a small leak from the oil cooler cover, I'm gonna get that gasket and tear it down sometime month. It's usable as is and I don't feel like taking the intake off again this week!

Stroker04

Reaction score
Are you sure it's not leaking at the oil cooler housing and running back towards the high pressure oil pump cover? If it's not, it must be your turbo oil drain not seated properly or the orings are shot.

Rogue1987

Reaction score
I think it was two things. One is that the oil cooler cover is leaking and running back, and I found a spot on the hpop gasket that was damaged. So I really had two leaks. Next week I'll tear it down. Really wish I had seen the oil cooler was a leak as well while I had it apart but it is what it is.

I'm hadn't considered doing the oil cooler while I was there but that's not a bad idea. This thing has 268k on it, and I'm not sure when the oil cooler was last done. Last week I did the oil cooler on my 07 f250 (with 280k on it), so it's nothing new. Might as well while I'm there.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.