04 SD with clunking up front

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
like it says iv got a clunking up front on my 04 SD cclb dually. it only does it when you turn sharp with it. iv taken the track bar out, steering stabilizer out, and sway bar out and no change at all. its got all 4 ball joints and axle joints just replaced within a month along with a wheel bearing. goin down the road it doesnt make a single noise at all. just when you turn sharp.

thanks for your help guys. this is driving me nutty

sirnunya

Reaction score
leaf spring bushings, or steering box. I would make sure steering box is good first and that sector shaft is not hanging on by a thread, had mine fail in a 25mph S turn, not fun.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Mines been clunking for a while. I'm 90% sure its the upper spring bushing in the frame. Just have not had the time to replace it.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Check your swaybar links and swaybar bushings, if you can see light through the bushings, theyre bad. And on the links, even if they look/feel tight, ive seen them back the nuts off a bit and make that noise, try tightening them up

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
I had the sway bar off so it can't be the links at all. I'm leaning towards the leaf spring bushing right now too. Ill have to check my box though. It only does this when I turn sharp. Would the box be doin that?

Sent from my Pear phone using Tapatalk

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Check your swaybar links and swaybar bushings, if you can see light through the bushings, theyre bad. And on the links, even if they look/feel tight, ive seen them back the nuts off a bit and make that noise, try tightening them up

I've replaced the sway bar end links, the bushings, the track bar bushings and one shock... Still a clunk, every time, right at the drivers foot. You can feel it.

buckcommander

Reaction score
My 04 did the same thing. I ordered new bushings for the front leaf springs and found out it cost more to have them pressed in than to just buy brand new spring packs that came with new bushings installed so I sent the bushings back, ordered new springs, installed and problem solved. 3 days later a guy runs a red light in front of me and truck is totaled.:cursing:

buckcommander

Reaction score
jack the front end up by the frame and get a big pry bar between the spring and shackle and see if it slides either direction.

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
Well my leafs and shackles are the only things that aren't new so that's what I'm leaking towards. Ill probably just get all new springs and shackles and call it good. Ill still double check the play though

Sent from my Pear phone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online