06 6.0 running issues

apower47

Reaction score
Ok so I'm having several issues with my 6.0. A little background, It's a stock motor other than radiator filter and a k&n intake. I bought the truck about half a year ago and it's my first 6.0. (I knew somewhat of what was to come With reliability, but love fords!)
I haven't had any issues with it until I was moving and towing a trailer 1000 miles.

My check engine turned on, and it's throwing a P0401 and P0404 code. The issues I'm having is when I'm going up hill at highway speeds, the engine/turbo seems to choke out and the truck loses all acceleration and power. I have to let off the gas pedal and try again. Another one is sometimes when I start off a stop, it chugs and seems like it's about to die. With no acceleration. It also smokes white smoke out of the exhaust on acceleration, and a lot of it. Have to keep filling coolant. Any ideas where to begin diagnosing and replacing? I know it has something to do with EGR, but that's about it. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triumph1188

Reaction score
If you are burning coolant then you likely cracked your egr cooler. That whole chain of events usually starts when the oil cooler gets clogged and overheats everything downstream. Burning the coolant isn't good for cylinder pressures either. It can cause blown head gaskets.

I would check to see if the egr cooler is cracked. Then probably investigate into the condition of the oil cooler. I am sure people will be able to offer a bit more insight. But those were all things I read about watching for when I purchased my 6.0

Latest posts

Members online