07 High EGTs Stock...what am I missing?

Jeremy

Reaction score
The patient is my fathers 07 F-350 6.0 90k, blocked off EGR, no scoop up pipe, 4" no cat exhaust, and 40hp PHP ficm tune. VXCF4

A little history first. About 10k ago it lost the injector tip on #5, after bore scoping the cyl we figured the damage to the piston wasn't that bad(its wasn't great though) and put another injector in it and did the sign of the cross. Truck started and ran fine and after we cleared(burned) all the fuel out of the exhaust all was well. Changed the oil, put in the blue spring b/c FP was low. We didn't check the turbo, yes we should have but decided to see how it ran b4 we dove into it a little further. The truck started and ran great, with 20+ psi of boost, no blowby from the crankcase we figured we dodged a bullet. EGTs were normal nothing over 1300F pulling it hard monitoring with the edge evo(pre turbo probe in left manifold)

Fast forward to about a month ago, dad call me and says the evo is alerting him that the exhaust temps are high. I set the alerts to 1350F he said when it went off and he look at it was 1400F. I asked if he was towing he said no just crusing empty up the freeway at 75mph on a ~4% grade. I asked what his boost was he said he could get over 20 psi out of it still when he got on it. He limped it along until I got my hands on it last week. Slight black smoke/hase when the egts are high.

My first thought was the turbo, driving it the boost seemed low compared to my other 6.0 cruising empty, 6-7psi at 75-80mph and the EGTs at 950-1100F. The vane still cycled open and closed as they should, and I tested it with IDS. Pulled the turbo anyway and opened it up...the injector tip or something else made a mess of the turbine wheel(took the tips off) and the vanes were beat up but they still moved. Replaced the turbo with a ford reman, and checked the up pipes for leaks, buttoned it up and figured all was well. Its better but still runs high egts cruising empty 900F is the norm. I programmed the ficm back to stock to eliminate that. I pressure tested the CAC system and heard no leaks there either. So I'm at a loss.

MAP/MAF and EBP all passed the tests with IDS.
CAC system doesnt have any major leaks that I can hear
New turbo
swapped EGT probe and Evos...both still read high
Still no blowby from the crankcase
No real smoke, except when you mash the go pedal from a stop, but the amount is pretty stockish IMO
All Stock programming on it now
New ICP aswell.

The only thing that stands out is: when the engine is still fairly cold (EOT under 180ish) its fine, temps are normal 600-700F crusing etc.

ICP passed the IDS test aswell.

any thoughts or help?

Thank you

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online