07 issues

6speedsd

Reaction score
My brother is looking at a 2007 model. Decent mileage, and is clean as a
A new one. Good price too. Were there any major issues with the 07 models other than the usual 6.0 problems? I heard they have better EGR coolers and better injectors than previous models, but not sure if that's the case. Hes trying to get them to send an oasis on it now. Truck is over 3 hrs away so we are trying to get as much info as we can before making that drive. If we do I'll hook my X3 up during the test drive and try to watch the temps on everything. He is already prepared to do th cooler deletes, studs, etc if he does get one. Just wondering if there was anything on the later 6.0's that should be looked for. I know what to look for with my 04, but I'm assuming they changed some things by 07.

Also, can anyone here send me an oasis if I get them the vin?

smokersteve

Reaction score
2006 and 2007 are the best years to choose for a 6.0.

Good things to look at before the purchase.
-Look at the head bolts and see if you see a bolt head or a stud with a nut around it. This will show if the truck upgraded to ARP head studs.
-See if there is a copious amounts of white or blue smoke from the exhaust. Indicates a bad egr cooler and or turbo
-Slow turbo spool up, indicates bad turbo.
-Low power when cold, poor performance cold, difficulty starting cold. these can be from a bad turbo, bad FICM, stiction from poor maintenance, stiction is injector build up on the oil side
-Coolant pushing out of the coolant cap. indicates head gasket leaks and or egr cooler failed.

Last edited:

Atsah

Reaction score
03/04 have better EGR coolers than newer trucks.. The round cooler is less restricting than newer square coolers.. Injectors in the newer trucks are better than a stock injector in an older truck..

Mdub707

Reaction score
I never understood why everyone thinks one cooler is better than the other...

First of all, what do you mean by better? Better as in less failures? Or better as in it cools better? I bet the square one has more cooling, since there is more surface area in a box than in a cylinder. I also don't buy that there were less failures, it may appear that way simply because there were just far less round coolers ever made than square coolers. If one design was truly better than the other, would BPD still offer both as upgrades? I'm not saying any one way is right or wrong, I just don't buy it.

06/07 6.0 would be one of the better one's to get, I agree. The STC fitting will probably fail at some point, but if someone is diving in to do the headstuds, then it can be addressed at that point, not really expensive. Even if this truck had studs, I'd be leery of how the job was done, if the heads were gone through, the gaskets used, or even the torque method used. Lots of wrong ways to do a headgasket job on these, not so many right ways.

Atsah

Reaction score
I never understood why everyone thinks one cooler is better than the other...

First of all, what do you mean by better? Better as in less failures? Or better as in it cools better? I bet the square one has more cooling, since there is more surface area in a box than in a cylinder. I also don't buy that there were less failures, it may appear that way simply because there were just far less round coolers ever made than square coolers. If one design was truly better than the other, would BPD still offer both as upgrades? I'm not saying any one way is right or wrong, I just don't buy it.

06/07 6.0 would be one of the better one's to get, I agree. The STC fitting will probably fail at some point, but if someone is diving in to do the headstuds, then it can be addressed at that point, not really expensive. Even if this truck had studs, I'd be leery of how the job was done, if the heads were gone through, the gaskets used, or even the torque method used. Lots of wrong ways to do a headgasket job on these, not so many right ways.

There is no question the square cooler has a WAY higher failure rate than the round cooler.. My friend is a service manager at the Ford garage and he has a box of square ones and no round ones.. He told me that the square coolers fail at a ratio of two to one and have been that way since 2005.. That's proof enough for me.. I have four friends with 6.0's with the round cooler's with lots miles on them and they never had an EGR cooler failure.. If someone is going to leave the EGR system intact and they flush the system and change the filter every 50K they probably won't have a cooler failure.. It's not the EGR cooler that causes the problem anyway, it's the oil cooler that fails from not servicing the cooling system often enough.. If you leave it in for the recommended 100K your looking for trouble..

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Just about all 6.0's have less power when cold, thats not necessarily an issue, just the nature of the beast. Until its up to normal operating temp you shouldn't be giving it a lot of hell anyways.

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Just about all 6.0's have less power when cold, thats not necessarily an issue, just the nature of the beast. Until its up to normal operating temp you shouldn't be giving it a lot of hell anyways.

With this new motor im not getting that sluggish when cold mess like the 04. It runs well from a coldstart with no warm up time. Its an 07 engine.

4tonGT40

Reaction score
My brother is looking at a 2007 model. Decent mileage, and is clean as a
A new one. Good price too. Were there any major issues with the 07 models other than the usual 6.0 problems? I heard they have better EGR coolers and better injectors than previous models, but not sure if that's the case. Hes trying to get them to send an oasis on it now. Truck is over 3 hrs away so we are trying to get as much info as we can before making that drive. If we do I'll hook my X3 up during the test drive and try to watch the temps on everything. He is already prepared to do th cooler deletes, studs, etc if he does get one. Just wondering if there was anything on the later 6.0's that should be looked for. I know what to look for with my 04, but I'm assuming they changed some things by 07.

Also, can anyone here send me an oasis if I get them the vin?
Make sure it hasnt been hit by a Train, check to make sure the bottom end isnt knocking, buy it delete all the known crap parts (ie. Head bolts, egr, etc.) and MOd the hell out of it and dont look back. Good luck.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
With this new motor im not getting that sluggish when cold mess like the 04. It runs well from a coldstart with no warm up time. Its an 07 engine.

So your saying that in 20*-40* ambient temperatures after a 12hr-several day cold soak, you can tell no difference in performance when you first crank it up? Turn the key and it runs like its at operating temp? The engine and tranny, just like on an 80* afternoon after being run and at temps? Well, I guess you've got the best diesel ever. Mine starts and idles as smooth as if it were new, but until it gets warmed up, 100* eot, it doesn't run like it would at normal operating temp, 185*eot.

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
LOL Thats one way to blow it outta proportion. Nice job.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Just askin' man. Every diesel I've ever had anything to do with had to warm up at least some to operate at normal capacity.:shrug:

Mdub707

Reaction score
There is no question the square cooler has a WAY higher failure rate than the round cooler.. My friend is a service manager at the Ford garage and he has a box of square ones and no round ones.. He told me that the square coolers fail at a ratio of two to one and have been that way since 2005.. That's proof enough for me.. I have four friends with 6.0's with the round cooler's with lots miles on them and they never had an EGR cooler failure.. If someone is going to leave the EGR system intact and they flush the system and change the filter every 50K they probably won't have a cooler failure.. It's not the EGR cooler that causes the problem anyway, it's the oil cooler that fails from not servicing the cooling system often enough.. If you leave it in for the recommended 100K your looking for trouble..

How many 03 trucks do you think are coming into your buddy's shop for an EGR replacement? By now most have been deleted, so obviously he's going to see more square coolers than round. They only had the round one's for 1 year, and the square one's for 4 years... so even if he sees 2:1 square one's, then that tells me the round one's fail more...

Even if we're talking back in 2004, of course he saw a lot of cooler repair jobs coming in, I wonder how many EGR delete companies were on ebay back in 2004, and how much they were? I know if I had the first year truck and something went wrong I'd probably bring it into the dealer too. To say they fail more because a tech at a garage sees more of them, just isn't substantial evidence to me.

I agree though, if the coolant system is kept clean to prevent oil cooler clogging, then there probably wont even be any issues.

I still think EGR delete is the best route anyways, I just don't buy the square are better than the round. JMO.

Atsah

Reaction score
We can talk about this til were blue in the face.. My friend has been a service manager at the Ford shop for 25 years and when he tells me the square cooler design is not as good as the round I believe him.. You believe what you want.. The best thing to do with a square or round EGR cooler is thow it in the trash... I have had two trucks with round coolers intact, lots miles and no problems.. My brothers 05 had to be deleted becuase it was a square POS...

Mdub707

Reaction score
You're right, neither of us can prove it, but again neither of us can dis-prove it. I've had service managers tell me all sorts of things...

Not as good as of a design doesn't equate to more failures either, you're twisting the words there. Everyone just assumes the round is a better design because it flows more, but maybe more flow isn't needed. Most people don't take into account fluid dynamics. Ford could have intentionally slowed down flow to allow more heat dissipation... tough to say.

My buddy has an 05 6.0 that had the original square cooler up til about 275k miles and then deleted it. Never once ruptured. He was on original headgaskets too. All 8 injectors were original as well, and this truck has been tuned and running on nothing smaller than 37" tires, so it's not babied either.

Let's just agree that the best thing to do is place your cooler (round or square) in the trash!:toast:

Atsah

Reaction score
You're right, neither of us can prove it, but again neither of us can dis-prove it. I've had service managers tell me all sorts of things...

Not as good as of a design doesn't equate to more failures either, you're twisting the words there. Everyone just assumes the round is a better design because it flows more, but maybe more flow isn't needed. Most people don't take into account fluid dynamics. Ford could have intentionally slowed down flow to allow more heat dissipation... tough to say.

My buddy has an 05 6.0 that had the original square cooler up til about 275k miles and then deleted it. Never once ruptured. He was on original headgaskets too. All 8 injectors were original as well, and this truck has been tuned and running on nothing smaller than 37" tires, so it's not babied either.

Let's just agree that the best thing to do is place your cooler (round or square) in the trash!:toast:

I'm not twisting words.. I have looked at both of them up close and I believe the round cooler has a better design and I have no idea why Ford changed it.. I agree, throw them all in the trash.. Most people have a hate for Ford mechanics, I happen to have a very good diesel crew at my local dealership that knows these trucks inside and out and don't rip people off.. Anytime they do a repair on my truck I am more than satisfied with the work and price..

4tonGT40

Reaction score
I'm not twisting words.. I have looked at both of them up close and I believe the round cooler has a better design and I have no idea why Ford changed it.. I agree, throw them all in the trash.. Most people have a hate for Ford mechanics, I happen to have a very good diesel crew at my local dealership that knows these trucks inside and out and don't rip people off.. Anytime they do a repair on my truck I am more than satisfied with the work and price..
Me too, I got a hell of a Ford Tech that works on my chit luckily.....but for every 1-2 good ones theres a few not so honest ones..yeah know?

Mdub707

Reaction score
I've had good luck with most techs, it's the service managers who I usually have issues with. I've since learned the least amount of information I can give to the service manager the better off I am, I just leave a note in the truck for the technicians, and sometimes a case of beer in the bed.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.