08' Rear Differential Cover Swap?

Enoch

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Bought an 08' rear dif. cover, pretty easy swap?
I saw a whole write up on it and thought I saved it, but unable to find it on my pc.

Any advice, how many qrts., what's the best fluid to use, is a gasket needed, what sealant do I use?

I appreciate any and all help.

Thanks!

BMac

Reaction score
High Temp RTV works as a sealant, Use Royal Purple it already has the friction modifier in it. Uses 3.5 Qt's of the 75w-140

Others can chime in but if memory serves me right you may need longer bolts for the 08 cover..

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Yeah you need the 08 bolts to go with it. but everything else Bmac said is correct

Tom S

Reaction score
My trick is to just lightly tighten the bolts when the silicone and is soft and wait till it is dry to tighten them to spec.

Enoch

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I appreciate it! The bolts came with it so I'm good there. And 3.5 Qt's of the 75w-140 of Royal Purple.

Thanks again.

ccarrier

Reaction score
i would paint it before install. the bare alum doesnt stay pretty too long

i painted mine flat black
DSC_2533.jpg

Last edited:

Enoch

Reaction score
Thanks, the guy I bought it from actually already painted it exept for the top of the fins. Looks good and plan to keep it like that, but do plan to strip and re-do it.

chappy

Reaction score
I just went to the hardware store and bought longer stainless steel bolts and washers. I use shaffer oil since its better then the royal purple stuff but the RP should at least be at spec with the motorcraft.

Enoch

Reaction score
I've heard good things about Shaffer oil, I'll have to see who carries it. I actually planned on going with Mobil 1.

I got it all stripped today, now just need to get some motivation to paint and install it.