08 Tailgate Swap

tbrown1986

Reaction score
I've searched but can't find the answer I need. I have an 07 and I bought an 08 tailgate. Its the tailgate with the step and handle. I've searched the local salvage yards and also our local ford dealer and can't find what I need. I want to put this 2008 style tailgate on my 07. What brackets, rods, or parts do I need? I found out about the tailgate assist rod... I'd like to utilize this but more importantly I'd just like to get the tailgate put on.

05wh250

Reaction score
If I remember right you have to change the drivers side hinge. Been looking to do this too just can't find a tailgate they don't want an arm and a leg for.

Koda22

Reaction score
Yea driver side..,just go to your ford dealer and order one...I think it was under 20bucks for it

tbrown1986

Reaction score
I've got the drivers side assembly ordered. Hopefully it will work. The way I understand it is that I wont be able to use the lift assist or whatever it is. This step tailgate is a lot heavier than a standard tailgate so I might end up getting something to help shut the gate and also not let it slam. I appreciate all the input! Thanks!

johnp115

Reaction score
I've got the drivers side assembly ordered. Hopefully it will work. The way I understand it is that I wont be able to use the lift assist or whatever it is. This step tailgate is a lot heavier than a standard tailgate so I might end up getting something to help shut the gate and also not let it slam. I appreciate all the input! Thanks!

The driver side hinge allows for you to use that. Its like a torsion spring bar or whatever and that hinge connects to it. Lowers super easy. Had one on my 6.0

Its one little bracket, two bolts. May be a pain to get the old hinge out. I had to heat mine up cause it was frozen

Obsledpuller

Reaction score
The new hinge is a slot that sticks into the new tailgate all of the lift assist is in the tailgate its a fairly easy swap. Did mine in about 20 mins.

sagebel

Reaction score
It's not inside the gate, it bolts to the bed on the bottom driver side of the tailgate opening. All '08 and up tailgates have the internal torsion spring. Order this part: 4L3Z83430B39AA (I think it is a F-150 P/N but it worked when I put an '08 tailgate on my 2000.

Latest posts

Members online