10.5" rear axle seals...

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Anyone done them? I've got gear oil leaking into the parking brake. Been that way for a while, but coming down off the pass monday I believe its now leaking onto the inner pads. Smoked the brakes pretty good.

Something I can do on the jobsite with minimal tools or would I be better off to just pay Schwabs to do it?

Wayne

Reaction score
I've done a handful on the 10.25, but none that I remember on the 10.5. I suspect the 10.5 is a bit easier without shoes, but consider it to be about as difficult as changing the inner spindle grease seal on an obs front axle, and that's about where you're at.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Got a brief run down?

Pull tire, remove axle, and the seal is there or? Do I need a puller/installer?

Wayne

Reaction score
don't think you need a puller. Just the 2 piece locking nut holds the hub assy in place once the shaft is out IIRC, and you remove the caliper, and the rotor comes right off, Some times the E-brake shoes need to be adjusted in, especially if they've worn grooves on the inside. Don't take my word for it tonight though. My brain is a bit fried after a long day. It's been over a year since I did a rear seal on one.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Hummm... I may just have Schwabs do one side, watch them and go from there.

Hard do so stuff I have never done without a back up parts runner. Walking to Napa doesnt sound like fun! LOL

91turbogsx

Reaction score
It's pretty easy to do. After pulling the wheel, caliper, and rotor off. Just pull the axle (mine as well replace the oring on that while your there), remove the ratcheting nut, outer bearing may fall out. Remove the hub. It may take some prying to get it off. Pop the seal out of the backside of the hub. Inspect the slinger in case that is what caused the seal to leak. Ive saw them get twisted up and take out the seal. Install the new seal. Now before reinstalling the hub you'll need to pull the wear sleeve/seal off the spindle. They are 2 piece seals but only come apart during removal. Clean the spindle and reinstall everything to the proper specs. If you need the specs I can dig them up.

I just typed this up real quick on my phone. So I won't be surprised if I missed something.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Ya... Not something I am going to tackle in the Fred Meyer parking lot in Bellingham Washington!

Too many what if's to get me walking.

Latest posts

Members online