'10 f-350 front axle`

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
i need to put u joints in the front axle, and i have alot play in the axle shaft. just need some help clarifying some things so i can get the right parts on the way.

the guy i used to be able to talk to at the local dealer, doesnt work there any more, and they no longer will just talk to you unless their doing the work.

so.

i'm familiar with my old 99 7.3.

lock outs out, snap ring and the washers off the axle shaft, reach behind the spindle take the 4 nuts off and the entire unit bearing comes off, which gets you to that big ass seal you have the beat the hell outta to get out. it was simple and straight forward.

but to reinstall it, you needed the special tool from ford to put the seal on the axle shaft, and to set the depth of the seal in the spindle. no big deal there either.

before i start this one on my '10, i wanted to talk to someone who has done it, and make sure if there were any special tools i needed to get, or just how different this process was going to be, before i just tore into it, and was down a truck for X amount of extra days till i got stuff i could have had sitting there ready when i started.

my "wheel bearings" are fine but the axle shaft has alot of play in it. on my 7.3 that was not fixable you had to replace the entire unit bearing to do that stupid needle bearing. is that still the case, or is it separate now? can you rebuild just that "needle bearing", or whatever it is now, on it's own, or is it still replace the entire thing?

is that big ass seal still there, and do i still need the special tool?

any other tips, tricks, pointers and/or suggestions when i go to start this?

as an addition, where is everyone getting their trutracs from? i need one for the rear. lowest price i found so far is $550, with a $50 mail in rebate expires 9/31/15

and while i'm at it, has anyone put one in the front? my truck has a plow hanging off the front in the winter, is a pavement queen most of the time, but it's not uncommon for me to be hooked to something that may or may not be over weight. :D outside of winter i dont use 4wd much, but when i do it sure would be nice to have all 4 tires churning.

so then.... if a trutrac for the front isn't recommended, by someone who has tried and it didn't work, not what you think might or sounds like it may or may not happen, what's the opinions of a E locker or a air locker? i have been considering putting air bags in the rear of my truck, so air might be present, and i could use a upfitter switch if i went with a e locker. a select able locker might be better for the front, maybe, but you have to turn it on/off. something automatic that just works when it needs to on it's own would preferable, as long as you are still allowed to turn.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Not apples to apples but i had an 03 7.3 with detroit trutracs in front AND back. The cost in 06 was 2k per axle to do an axle rebuild, new gears, seals, the trutrac, and my front axle the u joints on the dr side would move when the truck did. I guess it means some bearings are shot.

Im sure I could have done better on the trutrac cost but the place I went was the only place I knew of that would do the work. So I paid their price.

No experience on the lockers on a super duty i knew a guy that had one on the rear of an older one but i dibt see why an arb couldnt be awesome for front axle traction.

Hopefully someone comes along with more solid input.

So the only thing Ive answered is, yes, 550 is a good price on det tt. Just be careful, a guy I know was getting them from summit. Had two go bad and come to find out they were selling used rebuilds or reboxed bad units. He ate the one and bought one from a 4wd shop and life was good again.

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
A true trac in the front wouldn't be too bad as compared to a full locker which won't steer as long as your not too hard on the throttle.

Clutch style LSD's maybe liveable if you were a lil on the hard core side.

ARB or any other select able locker would be OK also but when engaged, again steering is pretty much limited and expect vicious crow hopping but you'll go a lot of place other truck just won't go as all you need it one tire with solid traction, and your off....

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.