10000 hours a lot for a 7.3 Powerstroke/ International 444e?

giannid

Reaction score
Well, I'm looking to purchase a engine out of International school busses that are actually 444e engines . Basically the same as a 7.3 powerstroke with some different bolts ons. I looked at 4 of them today and the miles ranged from 130,000 to 160,000. Years ranged from 1999 to 2001 and they were the 190 hp models. Surprisingly the hour meters showed 10000 to 13000 hours. I test drove all four busses and I drove them down the road like I stole them and they ran great. Checked the blow by on them and it looked like they had the same blow by as my 2001 f350 powerstroke. The fins on the turbo all looked good so I know they have had clean air. Although I didn't have any records for any of the engines it looks like they were never replaced from the paint on them. Looks like the hpops on two were newer and one turbo charger looks like it was replaced on one as it didn't have the blue factory paint on it. I actually took oil samples of them and will have them back early in the week. Should I stay away from purchasing these engines? I have 3 trucks that have 7.3 powerstrokes and ones in need of an engine. I figured I'd buy 2 as the price is right. Just seems like a lot of hours. I know the big engines go for many hours as I have a Kenworth with a Cummins engine with over 20000 hours without ever being overhauled. Just wondered what you guys think. Thanks

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
ive had 7.3 with 300k+, and a 6.0 with 500k and the bores looked fine. But the owners took care of them. Hence the high mileage

bruce

Reaction score
A lot of ideal time and stop and go in a bus. They should have had pretty good maintenance though.

giannid

Reaction score
They were definitely maintained. The hours just kind of scared me at first. And yes, lots of idle time. Just wanted some opinions before I pulled the trigger. I'm going to wait on the oil samples also. They are priced right though.

giannid

Reaction score
Only way for me to get compression numbers is after I buy them but they'll be out of the truck. I'm not even sure you can do a compression test on an engine if it's sitting on an engine stand? Can't imagine I could get it to spin fast enough. Wouldn't be a bad ideal to do before I drop it in. Anyone know a way to do this?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
yea, hook up a starter and batteries... the only thing is you may have to find a stand that allows the flywheel to be bolted up, most Ive come across wont let that happen. so maybe you can hang the engine from a picker and rest it on a few boards and do it that way. just of course make sure the engine has oil in it.

Last edited:

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
and honestly, if i were you, pick up a few of these engines, im sure he will cut you a better deal, then you can sell long blocks, and get money for cores(injectors, turbos,) and build your own stuff by selling the things you do not need. Its a bit of a drive, and I already have a spare engine, but if the price/timing/drive was right,I might pick one up from you a little bit down the road

giannid

Reaction score
I'm buying two of the engines after I get the oil reports back for sure and I got him down to $850 an engine. I'm sure if I buy another one I can maybe get another $50 off per engine. He was at $1500 at first but I think he lowered his price because he has to scrap the busses by the end of the month as the price is going down. And he know's as well as I do it's a lot harder to sell an engine if you can't here them run. Another guy was there from out of state and committed to one for a thousand and I told him I'd take 2 or 3 so he's dismantling the busses. I'm almost sure the turbo's are different from the powerstrokes from what I've read. Some guys are still using them but I think they're a little smaller than the stock powerstroke. I'm not sure if the injectors or hpop's are the same but not sure why they wouldn't be. They're all good running engines though with little blow bye and clean fins on the turbo's. At the least, they'll make good long blocks for the powerstroke guys. I'm just not sure resale and parts off of them will be worth much. Seems like core's aren't taking anything for the 7.3 these days. Well, I'm taking two for sure and will have a long block core from my existing powerstroke that needs rebuilt if anyone wants it.

high country

Reaction score
I work in prudehoe bay, alaska where our trucks run 24/7 for 8 months of the year due to the cold. We idle them up around 1300 for days on end. Most of the hour meters I see on the top end are 28-35,000 hours.

I would not be afraid.

Reaction score
I work in prudehoe bay, alaska where our trucks run 24/7 for 8 months of the year due to the cold. We idle them up around 1300 for days on end. Most of the hour meters I see on the top end are 28-35,000 hours.

I would not be afraid.

That's a long time! Do they only get shut off for oil changes ?

giannid

Reaction score
After looking at these busses, I truly believe these things last longer the way International has them set up. They are also tuned to make less horsepower and more torque. Also look like they have less engine management systems on them. The air cleaner is definitely a better design also. Much easier to work on also. Looks like you can have the valve covers off in a few minutes.

ToMang07

Reaction score
After looking at these busses, I truly believe these things last longer the way International has them set up. They are also tuned to make less horsepower and more torque. Also look like they have less engine management systems on them. The air cleaner is definitely a better design also. Much easier to work on also. Looks like you can have the valve covers off in a few minutes.

Well be fair....there's a lot more room under a bus hood, lol

high country

Reaction score
That's a long time! Do they only get shut off for oil changes ?

Yes. in the shop they shut them down to service them, but they have a slick system that allows a vac pump to be hooked up to the sump to pull all the oil out. these poor rigs get the oil changed every 4 weeks in the winter. when you consider how many hours they get out of an engine and the environment that they run in, it is pretty obvious that they are tough as a hammer.

high country

Reaction score
for the longest time we made our own, but when ULSD came to law we began trucking it in. we don't add anything to the fuel (not to say it doesn't get ordered that way) as far as anti gel or lubricants.

I have seen -50f for a few days on end and never gelled a filter. getting one to light off after the air filter plugs up with snow......that is a hoot.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I feel you need to share pictures of equipment up there in the brutal weather...lol

Latest posts