15 5" exhaust with muffler losing response?

cappa

Reaction score
I know this had been beat to death but I am trying to decide on either 5" exhaust with a muffler or 4" possibly straight piped. I want it to sound good but don't want super obnoxiously loud either. I have read some posts where guys claim that they lost throttle response with a 5" setup and was just wondering if there is any proof of this or if it's a myth. I would think any free flowing exhaust and a good intake should improve response and spool on a turbo diesel but just wanted to check with the experts. My only other experience with diesels was a 04 6.0 with 4" cool duals mbrp and their muffler and afe stage 2 intake and even on stock tune the response was night and day better than stock. I loved the way that truck sounded with the super raw turbo. I realize I will never get that same screaming turbo sound but just looking for the best setup for my new 15 6.7, thanks

cappa

Reaction score
I guess I should also mention I am in Canada and plan on a full ******, egr, and ccv. Tuning will prob be sct with gear head tunes unless I hear some good reviews by then about the new ndash

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
there's not really a decibal difference from 4" -5" , its tone. let me know if i can help you out !

20156point7

Reaction score
Just go 5 inch strait pipe, it's pretty quite until you get on the throttle then it screams. It's perfect in my opinion

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Cappa, talk to Jordan at Dirty Diesel Customs. He can give you the hook up on all the good parts from Mike @ No Limit Fabrication and then some. It's well worth the drive to Sylvan Lake. I get all my parts from him....

BR459

Reaction score
I agree, I run 5" straight and it's perfect! Great throttle response and sound, actually pretty quiet just cruising, but a good turbo whoosh when you mash it and it screams in the upper RPM's.

BK39

Reaction score
Everyone's opinion on loud is different. So it's ultimately it's going to be up to you. I've tried a couple different setups on my 13.
5" straight pipe was loud, and had bad drone.
Added a muffler to it, didn't change anything.
Added a 30" resonator to that, it was too quiet. Pretty much like stock.
Left the resonator in place, removed the muffler, no change.
Removed the entire 5" system, went to a 4" straight pipe. Still loud, but no drone.
If I don't sale the truck within the next couple months, I'll add a muffler just to see what it does.
If I were to start over from scratch, I'd do the 4" pipe with a muffler. Or 5" straight pipe with a 17" resonator.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Everyone's opinion on loud is different. So it's ultimately it's going to be up to you. I've tried a couple different setups on my 13.
5" straight pipe was loud, and had bad drone.
Added a muffler to it, didn't change anything.
Added a 30" resonator to that, it was too quiet. Pretty much like stock.
Left the resonator in place, removed the muffler, no change.
Removed the entire 5" system, went to a 4" straight pipe. Still loud, but no drone.
If I don't sale the truck within the next couple months, I'll add a muffler just to see what it does.
If I were to start over from scratch, I'd do the 4" pipe with a muffler. Or 5" straight pipe with a 17" resonator.

I think you hit the nail right on the head with that one. I ran a 5" straight pipe and dear baby jesus that was bad when I hooked up to a trailer. I added the muffler and still pretty bad. Added a 17" resonator with the muffler and it was like stock again :badidea: Got rid of the muffler and just kept the 17" resonator with the 5" and BOOM! :toast: It has been like that for over a year now...

cappa

Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking I was going to try the 5" Flo pro with their muffler and see how it is. Which resonator are you running? Is it the same length as the muffler? You can just remove the muffler section and try a 17" resonator in its place if it is too loud?. I don't mind loud exhaust but back in the day a buddy of mine had a 6l straight piped and I preferred the sound of my mbrp with their muffler to the straight pipe due to the drone at cruising speed.

Last edited:

dsmracing1

Reaction score
15 5&quot; exhaust with muffler losing response?

Yeah I was thinking I was going to try the 5" Flo pro with their muffler and see how it is. Which resonator are you running? Is it the same length as the muffler? You can just remove the muffler section and try a 17" resonator in its place if it is too loud?. I don't mind loud exhaust but back in the day a buddy of mine had a 6l straight piped and I preferred the sound of my mbrp with their muffler to the straight pipe due to the drone at cruising speed.

I'm running a twister 17" resonator where the muffler would be yep! I found the 5" with the muffler had a lot of drone for me. You have a 15 though so the characteristics might be slightly different... I don't k own for sure but I'd try with the muffler first for the hell of it.

I'd get a hold of Jordan at Dirty Diesels. He did the engine build on the owner of FloPro's truck with some sweet stuff under the hood...

Last edited:
Reaction score
I did a 5" inch system on mine and had pretty bad drone. Then tried muffler that came with and no real difference. I took out long (30"?) d-ltete pipe and replaced with a Donaldson muffler. They have dozens of options. You can check flow rate and find something that doesn't restrict your exhaust to badly. It made truck quiet, no drone, towing and hwy but if you get on it all it wakes right up. I took extra step of opening the diverter in the muffler with a long tire bar and I love it. It sounds great now with Streetmax.

BK39

Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking I was going to try the 5" Flo pro with their muffler and see how it is. Which resonator are you running? Is it the same length as the muffler? You can just remove the muffler section and try a 17" resonator in its place if it is too loud?

FTE has a 17" or a 30". To eliminate drone everyone suggested putting it as close to the front as possible. But ya, you can probably go that route, just stick it in place of the muffler.

drservo

Reaction score
I have straight 5" with muffler on mine and is perfect to me, no drone. To me no muffler is obnoxious when towing.

Mikeyfitz

Reaction score
5" straight no drone at all. I'm very familiar with drone from previous vehicles, and if there is drone I hear my tires over it anyways lol

Latest posts

Members online