16 at the Dealership - Powersteering Pump took a Piss!!

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Well went to get the dually and fiver to go to the track this afternoon and notice a puddle of what looks like tranny fluid under the driver side of the front bumper.
Truck has been sitting there for about 2 weeks or so and when parked no leaks, nothing.
Well turns out it is Power Steering Fluid. It was pushed out of the reservoir. Couldn't have been started while I was away, I had the keys.
Start the truck and has a whine, goes away some then start to move the truck and yep, PS pump is about the throw a bearing out. Have it towed to the dealer.

The only time I have seen fluid get pushed out of the reservoir is road racing or auto-xing my Impala before I put a cooler on.
I have only put 2 PS pumps on my cars, 04 Superduty and now this truck.

WTF occurred?

frito1

Reaction score
The pump was built by the low bid supplier? That seems to be the bane of our society. For years at my company, cost was not a consideration it was about doing things right regardless of cost. We held that line until our market was flooded with products from China. Our customers knew we had a superior product, but our price was higher. In todays global environment cost is the primary issue. Such is life.............QC comes second to $$.

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
if the truck wasn't driven or steering wheel wasn't turned while it was sitting I do not see how it could have be pushed out of the reservoir. I know the older fords would push fluid out if the truck was not running and the steering wheel was turned. Always made a dang mess.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
if the truck wasn't driven or steering wheel wasn't turned while it was sitting I do not see how it could have be pushed out of the reservoir.

My point exactly. I don't know how it could have occurred unless it started when I parked the truck, didn't notice it and the air pocket got to the top.
Either way the truck has enough miles on it to get the air out and level has never changed.
Oh well I bet they are going to say the sway bars and shocks made the pump work harder and that's what took it out. JK but I have heard some odd ball excuses on warranty work.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Well they said nothing was wrong and input the cap on wrong. Don't know how I never even removed it since owning the truck. You can see the level without removing it. Also the reservoir is not pressurized so what difference did that make. No whine anymore. Not sure what occurred on the whine and the overflowed reservoir but oh well. I am thinking either the pressure cylinder in the Hudroboost released the pressure or I got in and hit the brakes when I got some stuff out of it.

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
wow that is pretty weird. I wonder if there is valve in the hydro boost system that keep pressures at bay? Or if there is a pressure release valve of some kind? Where the wheels turned to one side when it was parked or anything? Possibly causing a pressure spike or something in the system? Then killed the engine pressure was retained in the lines or something. I know when I go crawling I have to let my hydro assist system cool or it will overflow. By this I mean lots of steering, really hot outside engine is warmer than normal, then either engine stalls or I shut it off and walk away to help someone that was hung up. Come back fluid all over the ground.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
It is weird. There is a cylinder on the hydro boost that holds pressure. Maybe that did it but the brakes felt fine this weekend. Wheels were straight.
This weekend I pumped the brakes a few times with the truck off and the level did rise in the reservoir but not a lot. Truck is parked for a couple weeks so see if it occurs again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online