2 6.0 questions

woodduck97

Reaction score
I have read the only head bolt that's a pain is the rear left bolt on passenger side head. Some have said to have beaten firewall with a rubber mallet to get that bolt out.

Rubber band the bolt up and it come right when you take the head out and do the same step when you put the head back on.

darklcdfeller

Reaction score
The way we lifted the cab on mine was, park the truck on level ground. take all the cab bolts out, and jack the cab up one side at a time and put 1" wood blocks on top of the body mounts. Go from side to side until there was 3-4" of 1" planks in there. Makes all the difference in the world getting to things there in the motor bay.

Ac

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
The way we lifted the cab on mine was, park the truck on level ground. take all the cab bolts out, and jack the cab up one side at a time and put 1" wood blocks on top of the body mounts. Go from side to side until there was 3-4" of 1" planks in there. Makes all the difference in the world getting to things there in the motor bay.

Ac

I have a tractor with pallet forks... I think that would be a very simple way.

What all did you have to disconnect other than the cab mounts? I could probably get it up a lot more than 3-4" unless thats plenty of room

darklcdfeller

Reaction score
Thats the reason we went up one inch at a time. We would go up an inch then check to make sure that there was nothing getting too tight and nothing was getting pulled farther than it could accept. I know that I took the steering linkage off but from my memory that was about it.

Ill try to find a link about specifically pulling the cab off here in a min. Gona have to do some searching around.

Ac

Silverback

Reaction score
easiest way to get the tc nuts out is with a mid lengnth 14mm and a 3/8 ratchet going from the bottom inpection bung. They will be tight so a 1/4 will do you no good.

I've must of done 100 head gasket jobs cab on with out pulling the engine. They are easy...no special tricks required.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
I got your PM and thanks for finding that for me, unfortunately i have no way to pull the cab completely.... But i can get it up enough and then stick shims in between cab and mount to support it.

So your saying 3-4" and youve got plenty of room to do anything?

Is it true you have to cut the carpet to remove cab bolts?

darklcdfeller

Reaction score
just pull the trim pieces and you can get at the bolts without taking the carpet out. I had plenty of room doing it the way I described to you bud

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
just pull the trim pieces and you can get at the bolts without taking the carpet out. I had plenty of room doing it the way I described to you bud

I am glad we talked! I would of started pulling the engine and transmission tomorrow morning.

If i can have the cab up and heads off in say 5-6 hours thats a monsterous savior

Reaction score
Just do it how we did it last time. Now that you got a couple under your belt until you can get your lift, I would imgaine it will go more smooth.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Just do it how we did it last time. Now that you got a couple under your belt until you can get your lift, I would imgaine it will go more smooth.

If I can leave the motor and transmission in tact.... That is going to save me HOURS and HOURS.

The worst part about pulling the motor is getting it aligned again with the transmission without dropping the transmission to the floor.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Lifting cab 4" made things easier... but its still tight, some head bolts dont come out until head is totally out of truck.

Do you guys put a couple of the studs into the head before setting it into the truck??

By the way, getting a lift ASAP haha.... should be within the month

Latest posts

Members online