2000 7.3 No start - some diagnostics done

20007.3stroker

Reaction score
Ok guys its been a while since Ive been on and posted, but Im in need of help bad. Little back story to this problem, one of my hpop fitting orings started leaking and I didnt realize it till the truck shut down from low oil. Well I topped it off and verfied it would start and run yet. Tracked down OE orings locally, drove it the 1/4 mile to work to put them in after hours(Im a technician). Got off work and went to fire it up to pull it in, no go, double check oil level and it was good. Next day had a couple guys help me pull it in the shop. Put the orings in, verfied oil levels were good in the case and resivior. Cranked for a while and it wouldnt fire. Gave it a spray of assistance(no glow plugs activated) to attempt to get it to fire. Popped off and idled almost perfect. So I pulled it out to idle till I got everything I was using picked up. Got ready to leave, put my foot on the brake to take it out of high idle and it died. Has not restarted since on its own.

Now to where Im at:
Firstly I discovered all Im missing it fuel into the cylinders( had to verify so please dont judge)
ICP is climbing to over 500PSI and IPR duty cycle is responding to keep it from over pressurizing
Injectors will pass a buzz test with no codes
fuel is getting to the bowl and I can here the fuel pump running(its only a couple years old) Dont have fittings yet to test pressure
Ive verfied with the tach and solus Im getting a sgnal from the CPS
Have WTS and CEL on key on

The 1 time I had it running on assistance, no injecotr sounds were heard. Im leaning toward an IDM ,but id like to d more teating before I condem it.

Thanks in Advance guys

Gary

Reaction score
Unplug the ICP sensor and see if it starts, if you see oil in the connector replace it. If your reading ICP then you must have a scanner, see if you have a tach reading on the scanner. Make sure the connector is on the IPR is good, tight, then make sure tin nut is tight.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Isn't there a terminal on the glowplug relay that comes from the pcm?

20007.3stroker

Reaction score
Ok only code is p1211, which is obvious ICP higher/lower than desired and Ive know its getting high enough so Im saying its higher. Tried the unplugging the icp sensor trick a and it was still a no go. Im getting a tach reading on the tach and on the scan tool, which is by the way a Snap-on Solus.

Id have to look Magnum PD, what are you thinking on that?

Stroker04

Reaction score
I'd check the nut on the ipr valve and make sure it's not loose like stated above.

Sent from my LG-D950 using Tapatalk

20007.3stroker

Reaction score
Ok sorry about not getting back on lately to give some feedback. Fixed my hpop ressy leak. verfied that its full and the rails are full of oil. Still no start. Put works Solus on it and found that cranking its only building to about 75psi and the ipr duty cycle is going to 65%. Now if I give it enough of a shot of brake kleen( agian please dont judge!) to pop off I can get it started and keep it running as long as I keep the rpms to about 1000. Once I let off it dies and will not restart. Ive pulled the ipr and cleaned it and no change. Ive tried disconnecting the icp and no change. Ive tested the power feed to the ipr with my voltmeter and got battery voltage as expected. While I had it running with the throttle at about 1000 to 1100 rpms the icp was about 500 psi and ipr was at 22% duty cycle. Now the icp pressure may not be exact as I had to convert from kpa. I obviously have a high pressure leak somewhere, with what Ive repaired though and there was nothing wrong before the line leak. Im at a loss and theres no external leaks. I know I need to pull valve covers to see if Ive got a leak anywhere on an injector.

All that was repaired was the high pressure oil line fitting orings and the hpop ressy cover.

psduser1

Reaction score
Pull the hpo lines off the heads and verify the pumps ability to build pressure with a mechanical gauge?
Assuming the pump is capable of making pressure, you may be able to swap in a different ipr. It's possible there is still debris holding the ipr open.
After that, you'll have to pull the vlv covers.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Pull the hpo lines off the heads and verify the pumps ability to build pressure with a mechanical gauge?
Assuming the pump is capable of making pressure, you may be able to swap in a different ipr. It's possible there is still debris holding the ipr open.
After that, you'll have to pull the vlv covers.
this^^^

live life full throttle

Dantheman

Reaction score
You have an o-ring split somewhere. Check the IPR first. When they run out of oil it can spike the the HPO system for a split second and damage brittle o-rings as it first starts to suck air as the IPR tries to keep enough pressure to run. It is like taking off a battery cable to see if the alternator is charging. When the connection breaks the regulator voltage spikes and burns out since there is nowhere for the current to go.

Last edited:

20007.3stroker

Reaction score
Ok Im reviving the thread, Ive finally had time to dig into it again. Swapped in a known good IPR and no change, still no start on its own. Pulled drivers valve cover and watched for leaking oil while my wife cranked it over. No oil coming from around injectors or being exhausted thru the injectors if one had stuck open. Since I knew drivers head is good, put both lines on drivers side and attempted to start on that bank, still no start. using an ipr pigtail and lines still at drivers head applied, I applied power and ground to ipr to close it and attempted to start. no change. HPOP is staying full, no external leaks, no oil mixing with other fluids. Unless something happended with the drive gear, Im thinking the hpop is about dead.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
I had a similar issue when with mine recently. same symptoms.. Cranking i could see no oil leaking out of injectors. I gave it a sniff of drugs to get it started with VC off and then saw the oil leaking out from around an injector.. Alot of oil. I would say get it started and check injectors for leaks.. mine was very obvious.. make sure you put down diapers under the truck before hand...

Latest posts

Members online