2000 brake problem

Short Bus

Reaction score
One of our 2000 2wd recently developed a heck of a brake problem. If any braking at all is used the front left brakes so hard it will yank the steering wheel out of your hands and turn hard left. Im not getting any abs codes or any codes at all for that matter. The front end was just gone through with all new components- ball joints, all tie rod ends, bearings, rotors and pads. We bled the brakes to make sure no air had some how gotten in the system. No brake fluid flows to front right caliper. The line has not been cut or pinched, no fuses blown, no codes. I cant find jack about it on the mitchell site and i need to get this fixed.

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
My 02 has been doing the same thing, I figured it was just time for new pads and a once over on the slide pins but my pads are fine and still slide fine.

mustube

Reaction score
It had to either get pinched somewhere or the line is clogged. Even if the piston in that caliper was siezed it would still bleed fluid. Trace the line all the way from the caliper to the master and make sure nothing is wrong. I can't think of anything else that would cause that to happen. Maybe get some fittings and bypass the abs pump to see if that's messed up?

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Short Bus

Reaction score
My 02 has been doing the same thing, I figured it was just time for new pads and a once over on the slide pins but my pads are fine and still slide fine.

Yeah we did new pads, rotors, cleaned the slide pins and it still pulls bad. I guess I will check the brake line one more time.

Short Bus

Reaction score
It had to either get pinched somewhere or the line is clogged. Even if the piston in that caliper was siezed it would still bleed fluid. Trace the line all the way from the caliper to the master and make sure nothing is wrong. I can't think of anything else that would cause that to happen. Maybe get some fittings and bypass the abs pump to see if that's messed up?

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

I was leaning toward the abs pump but I just wanted a few opinions

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
I'm gonna check the lines this weekend

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
Mine does this its always a bad caliper. Mine was pulling hard last fall. Checked everything, lubed slides. Drivers side caliper was junk. Re did front and rear brakes. New lines on the front and it's all peachy again. If your truck violently lurches when you step on the brakes check the front caliper on that side. Get a block and a clamp and run the piston in and out. If it continues to bind, it's junk.

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
I'm thinking mine was due to the right front caliper being twisted. I pull the caliper off and move it around so the line wasn't twisted.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

mudslinger02

Reaction score
Had the same problem on a few trucks lately. All but 1 needed new rubber lines that go from the caliper to the frame. Deteriorated on the inside and plugged the lines up.

hwrdbd

Reaction score
If you're not getting fluid at the bleeder, keep cracking open fittings on the brake line until you do get fluid. Starting at the wheel and working your way back, loosen a fitting and push the brakes. If no fluid, tighten and move to the next one. You'll figure out exactly where your problem is.

Zaairman

Reaction score
Do you hear any sounds when it happens? My truck does something similar, only it pulls to the right when it happens and the pedal gets real hard like ABS is kicking in. Problem is, I have a 2wheel abs truck. I pulled the ABS fuse the other day and haven't had it happen since, but I've only driven it about 25 miles since then.

Short Bus

Reaction score
No sound other than an a oh **** from the driver as it's headed for the ditch lol. Will try abs fuse tomorrow, if not I have an abs module and abs pump to swap in

Zaairman

Reaction score
Any luck with pulling the fuse? I drove mine about 80 miles today with several stops and hauling a load of mulch home with no issues.

Short Bus

Reaction score
No I honestly got to the point I just pulled it out of the shop. It's our truck and I was losing too much time dicking with it.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Its probably the rubber brake hose. They have a inner liner that can collapse and stop fluid flow and the hose will look ok.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.