2000 cold start issue

Short Bus

Reaction score
Ive got a truck that has a cold start issue. I believe its hpo related as the res is about an inch from being full and no oil pressure on the dash until the engine fires. I have had this happen before and the hpop has been the culprit, so i just swapped in a reman pump. Still the same problem. Am i down to the lpop and the check valve? How would i narrow down which one it is?

Short Bus

Reaction score
Checked low and high oil pressures when cranking? Does it start or is a hard start?

I have verified that there is no hpo until it fires and that the res is low. If the batteries hold out it will start. Or ether and it fires right off. glow plugs are operating, glowplug relay is operating and new injectors last year.

ToMang07

Reaction score
I have verified that there is no hpo until it fires and that the res is low. If the batteries hold out it will start. Or ether and it fires right off. glow plugs are operating, glowplug relay is operating and new injectors last year.

Sounds like LPOP to me. Keeping an eye on voltage?

Short Bus

Reaction score

Sounds like LPOP to me. Keeping an eye on voltage?

yes voltage is good. I may tap into the 1/8 npt port down by the oil cooler and see what oil pressure reads there. Just dont want to throw parts at this thing.

Dieselsvt

Reaction score
Not trying to insult...Did you check the oil level? Had one recently that needed 2.5 gals.

2001 7.3 swamps 175/146 single shots/ idm ts-6 chip.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
I did that when I first bought my truck. Got to where it wouldn't start. 7 qrts low and she won't. I never found out what was wrong with that engine but it was doing close to same thing. Except no compression. Truck didn't smoke except for first crank of the day. That was glow plug module. Low batteries will do it to. 14.? Amps to crank. Fresh batteries,trickle charger, good flo plug module,fuel tank mods with reg return. These 7.3's with done imo are the best Diesel engine ever put in a 3/4 1 ton truck!

mandkole

Reaction score
yes voltage is good. I may tap into the 1/8 npt port down by the oil cooler and see what oil pressure reads there. Just dont want to throw parts at this thing.

Agree on the not throwing parts, so its test time. Lets just work through it..

What issues were being chased with the injectors?
Has the truck run good?
What crank and idle LPO did you get at the res? (compare to the bottom port)
When it fires is it real ratty idle for a few mins or is it always clean?
HPO pump gear is tight?
Starts good when hot?
HPO rails sealed?
Will it build HPO if the injs are disabled and cranked on?
Was the IPR new?

Sorry for all the questions but wanted to be sure of what you've done and are working with. Ive been thinking about bleed down, pump gear, IPR operation/voltage and rail leakage.

Short Bus

Reaction score
Agree on the not throwing parts, so its test time. Lets just work through it..

What issues were being chased with the injectors?
Has the truck run good?
What crank and idle LPO did you get at the res? (compare to the bottom port)
When it fires is it real ratty idle for a few mins or is it always clean?
HPO pump gear is tight?
Starts good when hot?
HPO rails sealed?
Will it build HPO if the injs are disabled and cranked on?
Was the IPR new?

Sorry for all the questions but wanted to be sure of what you've done and are working with. Ive been thinking about bleed down, pump gear, IPR operation/voltage and rail leakage.

IIRC the truck had several injectors not passing a contribution test. also replaced glowplugs at that time.
The truck runs great unless it sits for 6+ hours then the no start issue.
When it fires the engine sounds great, nice crisp throttle response.
Have not checked gear but i dont think thats an issue since there's no lack of hpo under wot.
yes it starts and runs great when hot.
I do not see any hpo rail leaks
dont know
IPR is original, i thought about swapping a new spare in just to see if it did anything.

Also verified that the ICP sensor is reading properly, it matches with the mechanical pressure gauge i installed.

mandkole

Reaction score
10-4 Luke-- I figured that you'd already been through most of this stuff and by the time you brought it here, it was ready for a stick of dynamite..lol

Was behavior same before the pump swap?

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Question bluedge? Is there a check valve that can go bad at hpop draining back to crankcase? If not a check valve is it ipr valve?

Latest posts

Members online