2000 F250 7.3 Alternator Wiring Help / Lights Flicker.

Enoch

Reaction score
My headlights and dome light flicker as well as battery light on the dash.
Just replaced batteries and alternator tested good.

When I bought the truck was told the alt. is an ambulance alt.

Any thoughts or direction on this?

c9LUZou.jpg

ynujhDw.jpg

oEOXWRg.jpg

Clem1226

Reaction score
Parts store alternator testers suck, they are not fast enough to see if 1/2 of the full wave bridge rectifier is shorted. I bet if you put a good fluke meter on it or an equilivent you will see the voltage rapidly cycling from ~9VDC to ~13VDC. I had the same issue 7 or 8 years ago with 3 NAPA remans in a row (all tested good on their tester).

I can't help you on it being an ambulance alternator or not, I would get a stock reman or take what you already have to an auto electric shop and get their opinion and see if they will rebuild it.

Clem1226

Reaction score
I did a Google search on the part number shown on your alternator, it's a 130 amp autozone remanufactured.

If it was mine I would probably start by peeling off the electrical tape I can see in the photos and checking those splices, if the splices are as good as the tape wrap that may be your issue right there.

Enoch

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the reply and info/input.

I will undo the tape and see what's going on and we actually have a couple places that you can take the alt. in and they rebuild it there with all new internals for around the same price if not cheaper.
I may see if they can do something with the wires as well.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Members online