2000 sd 7.3 build up tips

Bluemule

Reaction score
I've got my hands on a 2000 sd motor with 30,000km on it from a wrecked truck. I plan on dropping it into my obs which at the moment has a hurt motor. The mods I already have on the bad motor that I plan on swapping are. T4 s468, 300/200 ff, studs,pushrods,beehive springs, complete fuel system, stealth pump [got gen 3 on standbye maybe] and idm plenums. I was just wondering if you guys have any tips for me before I get started on prepping the motor, since I plan on this being the last motor I put in the truck hahahaha.

Thanks,:popcorn:::popcorn:

Swaan

Reaction score
You'll have to use the manifolds off the OBS engine for the install. I'm perty sure the passenger side SD manifold is diffrent.
Also I second the fluid damper��.
Check , make sure the SD engine has fordged rods. It's a toss up. Prob does.

DocBar

Reaction score
What's "hurt" on the old OBS motor?
I bet it's bottom end related seeing as he had 300/200's and a 468 on it. That combo has been hell on motors, it seems like.

OP, who's tuning are you using?

Forgot to hit send before the OP posted about compression. :morons::pointlaugh:

DocBar

Reaction score
Matt at gearhead. Ya only have 1000 miles on the build haha
Matt is one of the best tuners at keeping higher HP builds in good shape. I love his tuning. Was it live tuned? How many miles on the original motor after the big mods?

Bluemule

Reaction score
Not sure on the new motors compression just yet, I'll be checking that on Monday when I get going on it. When the truck was bought from the previous owner it " supposedly" had a reman motor with roughly 90,000miles. So on that note who really knows how many actual miles where on it.

countrykidhere

Reaction score
Should I pick up a f250 or 350?? I'm leaning towards the 250 any ideas on what to look at??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Take your old engine out, scatter it on the bench, put a $1600 rebuild kit in it with MAHLE pistons, have a GOOOOODDDD machine shop machine it and check everything, forged rods are tougher than you think. Deck the block, put some new cam bearings, bore it, freeze plugs, and a good hot tanking will be your best bet, to be honest you have the ARPs already, and all the other goodies, have the heads checked out too, put some injector cups in and clean up and lap the valves in.. THIS way you KNOW what you have... Then BALANCE IT for abuse and then add the fluiddampner...

DocBar

Reaction score
Should I pick up a f250 or 350?? I'm leaning towards the 250 any ideas on what to look at??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unless you plan on towing A LOT, I'd do an F250. Why pay the extra $$ on those two extra wheels, plus the fuel you'll use with the lower gearing?

I'd invest in a good scan tool and use it during your test drive. That will help you identify any weaknesses in the truck you might buy.

Balanced and blue printed is the way to go on the bottom end.

Bluemule

Reaction score
Take your old engine out, scatter it on the bench, put a $1600 rebuild kit in it with MAHLE pistons, have a GOOOOODDDD machine shop machine it and check everything, forged rods are tougher than you think. Deck the block, put some new cam bearings, bore it, freeze plugs, and a good hot tanking will be your best bet, to be honest you have the ARPs already, and all the other goodies, have the heads checked out too, put some injector cups in and clean up and lap the valves in.. THIS way you KNOW what you have... Then BALANCE IT for abuse and then add the fluiddampner...
Holy smokes that seems like a lot of work haha. It's probably the best bet tho if I want to do it right. Only problem with that is I've never done work so extensively before. And finding a good machinist that knows what there doing would be a bit tricky.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.