2001 power steering help fast

purpleheart350

Reaction score
So today my high pressure power steering hose blew out. Drove 6 miles home and replaced hose and refilled pump. But now I still don't have power steering or breaks. I know when a pump is low you can hear the infamous whining. Mine has not made a noise even when it was dry. Do y'all think the pump is toast or even the hydro boost?

theronbt

Reaction score
You might have to bleed the air out of the system. Jack up both front wheel and turn the steering wheel both ways all the way to the stops. Do that a few times while keeping an eye on the fluid level. Then see if it's any better

purpleheart350

Reaction score
None. I replaced the pump and it has helped out a lot but the breaks are a little stiff still. I am hoping that all the breaking and turning (truck was lifted up) with the old pump didn't trash the hydro booster.

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
Unhook return line from hydro booster to pump. Connect 3/8 hose to return port on hydro booster and place other end in bucket. When you hit the brakes you should have fluid coming out of end of hose, a little fluid will also come out as you turn the wheel, especially at full lock. Make sure you have extra fluid to top off pump as it is drained.

doubledoor

Reaction score
I had two part stores ones and they would not turn the wheels. Put in a ford re man and it would only work if I reved it up a bit. Put in and other ford re man and it works 98% of the time. But I am also not running big wheels.

JLDickmon

Reaction score
if you got it from O'Really, it's a Cardone.
87% return rate. Junk.

You'd have better luck getting one out of a salvage yard.

Most vehicles now a days, they want the system vacuum bled at the pump fill, with about 22" of vacuum.

Latest posts

Members online