2003 6.0 long cranks before turning over

Whitetailfreakz4

Reaction score
Yet again it is about time for something to go wrong on this this as it does every 6 months or so. It hasn't been getting cold at night 60 at the lowest. but if the truck sits for a few hiurs , day or night, it will crank for at least 6-7 seconds before the motor will turn over. and if I don't start it for more then 1 day it will crank forever and I'll have to pump the fuel pedal before it will turn. recently replaced both fuel filters, motorcraft , and changed the oil. used the same as always was having this problem prior to the change. hpop is less then 1 year old. codes given are
p0336
p0341
p132b
p2287. I know some may not be relevant. any idea to what's going on

RNally

Reaction score
Ever had your ICP sensor and pigtail replaced? Seeing as you have an 03 with the sensor in the rear at the pump and a P2287 code, I would check there for one thing.

The P0336 and P0341 are cam/crank sensor codes IIRC, if they aren't syncing up right away that may cause the long start potentially as well.

Last edited:

Whitetailfreakz4

Reaction score
no haven't had the sensor replaced. is it something that I could do fairly easily? and as far as the cam crank what needs to be done to fix that? thanks for the quick reply

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Wildman

Reaction score
no haven't had the sensor replaced. is it something that I could do fairly easily? and as far as the cam crank what needs to be done to fix that? thanks for the quick reply

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Common problem with the cam sensor is rust/corrosion buildup between the sensor body and the engine block. This pushes the sensor outward and away from the reluctor wheel, which causes it to lose the cam signal.

To fix it, remove the cam sensor (drivers side, on the side of the lower part of engine block) and grind all the rust/corrosion from the engine block. Then re-install the sensor and re-evaluate.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
The 336/341 will set from extended cranking, and are sometimes nothing to look at. What oil filter are you using? Seen issues with aftermarket filters causing hard/no starts. Icp sensor is a good place to start too. Also seen issues with the front cover causing this. Does it build oil pressure on the dash ok?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.