2006 6.0 Electrical problems

Buffalo444

Reaction score
Ok, recently got a 2006 6.0 with higher miles and some electrical issues, knowing that I got it cheap enough that the cost to fix it won't be able to put me behind.

rAzTtoT.jpg

The main problems:

The speedo acting up
The dash/radio/ac controls/window controls will randomly stop working, and the truck will drive as if its underpowered or starting in second, and it will shift funky, like a manual, running through the gear then backing off before shifting.

The speedo is weird, it starts off way below 0mph then only slow moves while moving. It seemed like it was 5mph low, but its more than that. I had came to a complete stop and parked and the speedo just hung out at about 13 mph. Then I took it to what I guesstimate is about 55-60mph and it got up to about 55mph, then I took it back to down. I went through a couple stops on the way home and it would not go down at each stop, but it would go up when accelerating from the stops. By the time I got home and parked, the speedo sat at about 75mph. While I sat there with AE pulling codes, each time the dash cluster and accessories would die the speedo would drop a little, from 2 to 5 mph. That's about where I stopped there.

The dash issue is weird. I'm assuming its a ground issue, but I have a hard time replicating it. I had gotten it to do it a couple times by pressing the button in the gauge cluster, but then cycling it for several minutes straight. tried all the dash controls, door controls, lights, etc. Tow/haul button too. Really hard to get it to replicate. I'm not sure what all is on the instrument cluster/ radio/ ac control/ window control circuit. No owners manual to check what fuse its on to see if its loose or whatever.

Thanks to anyone who has time to help.

Buffalo444

Reaction score
Heard a relay or something click a couple times behind the cluster when it went out.

sent from behind a big block ford

Lassie

Reaction score
Your codes all lead to the same 46 pin connector on the PCM.

Track the short to ground codes first and look for wire/connector problems. I think you have a short somewhere, pulling down the carrier voltage on the CAN bus.

Clear your codes often and attack the shorts that come back.

Buffalo444

Reaction score
Should it have blown a fuse? Or can it be just enough not to blow one but still knock everything out?

Lassie

Reaction score
Should it have blown a fuse? Or can it be just enough not to blow one but still knock everything out?

It takes a hard ground to blow a fuse. You could easily have a chafed wire bleeding through dirt/grease build up on a cable.

And, if a network bus has a short (like CAN), these are never over-current protected.

Buffalo444

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, I will be looking into this. I bought a subscription to ALLDATAdiy thanks to the suggestion of Jarrod (not sure his screen name on here), and now have specific circuits/connectors to attack.

Gary

Reaction score
I would now try to clear the codes and then see what comes back, then work on those codes first. For your speedo problem check the wires coming off the VSS to the frame and look for any breaks or damage, that's a common area for problem.

Buffalo444

Reaction score
I would now try to clear the codes and then see what comes back, then work on those codes first. For your speedo problem check the wires coming off the VSS to the frame and look for any breaks or damage, that's a common area for problem.

The first part of that is part of the plan for the weekend, thanks for the extra info about the speedo though!

Zmann

Reaction score
Alldata DIY sucks they are a bunch of tools I was so unimpressed I asked for my money back and they refused so i have it for 2 more years and never use it any more

I have since bought the OEM manuals

do you have a remote start ??

Buffalo444

Reaction score
Alldata DIY sucks they are a bunch of tools I was so unimpressed I asked for my money back and they refused so i have it for 2 more years and never use it any more

I have since bought the OEM manuals

do you have a remote start ??

AFAIK it does not have remote start. Factory fob is just lock, unlock, alarm.

Zmann

Reaction score
cool
some of those codes can be associated with a remote start thats the only reason I was asking

Buffalo444

Reaction score
I found fuse 41 was blown out in the fuse panel. It is listed as instrument cluster, but the instrument cluster was still functioning (albeit intermittently). Anyone know what the fuse does specifically?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.