2006 F250 Rear Diff Cover Swap to '08

Djmck832

Reaction score
I've been wanting to change out my rusty rear diff cover for a year now and found a thread from another site posted last August. Here's my version...

Decided to go cheap and found the 2008 OEM Aluminum cover at my local dealer. Here's a breakdown of cost...

-'08 Cover # 8C3Z4033A - $59
-Rust-oleum High temp gloss paint - $5
-Rust-oleum High temp clear coat- $5
-Chrome bolts and washers - $25 at Home Depot
-Already had Ultra grey gasket maker

-Took OEM cover and etched the aluminum with vinager. Let dry.
-Sprayed a nice coat high temp black, let dry 30 mins.... Did this three times.
-Took some sandpaper I had laying around and stripped the fins. Didn't bother polishing the aluminum
-Sprayed a nice coat high temp clear, let dry 30 mins.... Again, Three times.
-Bolted up after proper gasket maker procedure.
-Sprayed clear coat over bolts.

Now if I could only figure out how to post more than one pic at a time... :fustrate:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 138

Djmck832

Reaction score
Good job, how much is involved if you just want to swap it?

I waited until it was time to drain and fill the rear diff fluid and did the standard procedure for that. Very easy install. Plenty of YouTube videos available. I got a great deal on fluid online with coupon codes from AAP and picked it up at local store. 4 QTS Mobile 1 LS 75W140(rear) and 3 QTS Mobile 1 LS 75W90 (front) for under $60.

f3502wd

Reaction score
I waited until it was time to drain and fill the rear diff fluid and did the standard procedure for that. Very easy install. Plenty of YouTube videos available. I got a great deal on fluid online with coupon codes from AAP and picked it up at local store. 4 QTS Mobile 1 LS 75W140(rear) and 3 QTS Mobile 1 LS 75W90 (front) for under $60.

Sweet, yeah I just got mine done. I should've swapped it at that time:cursing: Very nice job

Mexfdmnb

Reaction score
I have a 2005 with 3.73 limited slip rear diff will that part number for the '08 cover work for me?

Djmck832

Reaction score
I have a 2005 with 3.73 limited slip rear diff will that part number for the '08 cover work for me?

There should be a tag bolted on your differential. If it has 10 5 stamped on it, meaning 10.5 diff ring, then yes it will fit. I believe that's the same rear I have and that was my main concern too. You should have 12 bolts on your rear cover. Look at the pattern and compare it to a clear picture of this cover. I said what the hell, gave it a shot. From everything I have read, this cover should fit the majority of all F250's SRW from 99 thru present, just don't quote me on that!! LOL

Djmck832

Reaction score
Sweet, yeah I just got mine done. I should've swapped it at that time:cursing: Very nice job

Thanks man. And it's not like changing your oil. I swap diff fluids every 30K and for those like me, that takes years. I would hate to waste that money too.

FYI: I just look at your name and remembered I read somewhere that this cover WILL NOT fit on any F350 DRW's. If yours is a dually.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.