2011 tuned and deleted now has injector chatter

bdrummonds

Reaction score
2011 tuned and deleted at 40K miles. Truck now has 46K on the clock. H&S canned tunes on a mini max. S&B filter kit, and flo pro full exhaust. EGR removed and block off plate installed.
I am getting injector chatter in all tunes stock, tow, street, and performance that I was not hearing before the delete and tuning. It almost sounds like the old cackle problem from my 7.3 days. Truck seems to run great, averaging about 17.4 mpg around town but this chatter is driving me nuts. It usually happens after 2nd gear but can be heard all the way through 6th gear up to cruising speeds on the interstate. Most noticeable between 1300 to 1800 rpm.
I realize the tuning is maxing out the available pump pressure, but is it over taxing the pump and injectors, or do I have a bad injector?
Has anyone else noticed this after tuning and deleting? Am I being overly concerned about nothing? I still hate the oil change tick, but I can live with that.

Last edited:

dsmracing1

Reaction score
I get the occasional chatter too but usually the weather is cold or the engine is cold. Could be bad diesel too?? Running Conditioner?

Mpoage

Reaction score
Did you take noise dampener off the passenger side when you deleted the egr?

dsmracing1

Reaction score
I use FPPF truck and bus formula... I own a trucking company so I have cases of this stuff

Right on, it's a long shot but could be the conditioner possibly. I used to use power service but switched after the truck seemed to reject that conditioner. I use Howe's now and it seems to run better and not make as much noise or blow blue smoke now too.

bdrummonds

Reaction score
Right on, it's a long shot but could be the conditioner possibly. I used to use power service but switched after the truck seemed to reject that conditioner. I use Howe's now and it seems to run better and not make as much noise or blow blue smoke now too.
I would tend to agree except I didn't start running additive till after the delete and tune trying to STOP the injector chatter. I have had drivers of my big trucks come in and say my Cummins ISX doesn't like powerservice , but runs great with Stanadyne, or my Detroit doesn't like Howes, but runs great on FPPF. Each engine reacts different with the blend of fuel in the area and each different additive.

Just a thought, probably not fuel itself, although I do put at least one tank a week in from the same place, most of the time I end up filling up at multiple stations per week.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
I would tend to agree except I didn't start running additive till after the delete and tune trying to STOP the injector chatter. I have had drivers of my big trucks come in and say my Cummins ISX doesn't like powerservice , but runs great with Stanadyne, or my Detroit doesn't like Howes, but runs great on FPPF. Each engine reacts different with the blend of fuel in the area and each different additive.

Just a thought, probably not fuel itself, although I do put at least one tank a week in from the same place, most of the time I end up filling up at multiple stations per week.

Yeah I hear ha. I'm not too sure then...

dsmracing1

Reaction score
How did it "reject" power service?

My truck didn't seem to like it. It would always smoke blue out of the tailpipe when driving around at random times when letting off the throttle or tapping the throttle quick and especially on high idle it would burn in the cylinders funny, shake the truck and burn blue out the tailpipe. Turned to Howe's and it runs smooth now and no blue smoke ever...

fordpsdtech

Reaction score
As far as your ticking goes I wonder if removing the egr has allowed you to hear the right bank more now that it isn't blocking the sound of the injectors as much? Just a thought.

Latest posts

Members online