2014 6.7 turbo upgrade questions

97cherokee

Reaction score
looking too upgrade my 2014 6.7s factory turbo too either a smeding or mpd budget non vgt turbo or looking into a 2015 up factory conversion, i have gotten mixed reviews as to whether or not custom tunes are a requirement... if just a cel is on and the truck performs fine im ok with that. if custom tunes are needed could someone point me in the right direction via private message? thanks! also i have a cp4.2 and new bosch injectors. also recommendations on whre too purchase a turbo setup would be great, i am trying too be very budget conscious as i just went through the cp4 failure, but i believe the stock turbo has either a bad waste gate, solenoid or the vgt vanes are sticking at times, so a replacement is in the future and id like too get away from the finnicky 11-14 setup. thanks!!!

webb06

Reaction score
Send bigrpowr a message. Mike will hook you up with all of the above that’s needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
Going to a Non VGT Style Turbo will absolutely require custom tuning. It would have all kinds of CEL's on and drive like a laggy box of crap without it lol.

The retrofit kit will work on a completely stock truck but would definitely be better with custom tuning as well. We should have some Retrofit Kits coming in stock in the next week or two. If I can help with anything feel free to shoot me a PM or my contact info is in my signature as well!

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
Whatever you do OP, please, just don't do a Smeding Diesel kit....

WHS

what is the issue with the smeding turbo? thanks

They are Chinese copies of the MPD kit with a junk, Chinese turbo (Not a Borg Warner and NOT an SXE Turbo.) You'll be buying turbos for it more frequently than the stock 11-14 turbos. Also, just the ethics behind it. They literally bought a MPD kit, sent it to China and had it copied.

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
Has anyone actually had first hand experience with smeding turbos being unreliable??

Yes, I've had several customers (especially 6.4 kits) have the turbo go out within a week of putting it on. They then call me saying sorry they didn't listen and needing me to get them a replacement turbo. So they're then spending more than what a better kit would have cost in the first place...

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
WHS

They are Chinese copies of the MPD kit with a junk, Chinese turbo (Not a Borg Warner and NOT an SXE Turbo.) You'll be buying turbos for it more frequently than the stock 11-14 turbos. Also, just the ethics behind it. They literally bought a MPD kit, sent it to China and had it copied.
That should have said enough... unless that dude is dude is fishing

live life full throttle

97cherokee

Reaction score
went with a ford retro fit kit, with dyno proven tunes, truck ran awesome but sold it a few days ago. truck was getting too where it was becoming more problematic than i wanted and it was expensive too work on everytime.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
went with a ford retro fit kit, with dyno proven tunes, truck ran awesome but sold it a few days ago. truck was getting too where it was becoming more problematic than i wanted and it was expensive too work on everytime.
You went with the smeding diesel kit didnt you?

live life full throttle

Members online

No members online now.