2014 6.7 white smoke only when idled up

Cmh07

Reaction score
I’ve got an issue that we can’t seem to pin down and my truck which was recently ledeted. As soon as I started the truck up after installing HS MM it started fine, but once I idled it up to about 13-1500 RPM it started to almost have a bit of a sputter and would pretty consistently puff out white smoke while holding RPM up in that range. It doesn’t white smoke upon start up, it wont smoke at all when idling, and it barely puffs a little bit if you take off and drive. Also once the truck starts reaching running temps it wont do it anymore and seems to run fine. Now the only strange thing that I have noticed other than the white smoke, is at idle the turbo seems to toss out a random little hiss from time to time you can hear at the exhaust. Truck seems to run fine, but gets absolutely terrible fuel mileage. I averaged 13.5-15 for years up unitl I replaced the fuel system after the injection pump failure and now even with MM I struggled to get 14 on the highway over a 2 hour drive. My mechanic that did the fuel system for me ran it with his computer to check out the injectors and whatever he could on the computer while running it and said everything was inline nothing seemed out of order but he did not know what the smoking was about. As many of you know with the fuel system failure I just spent about 10 grand on that, so Im trying to catch any other issue that may be causing this before it gets catastrophic again. If anyone has had anything similar to this or may have any type of insight I would greatly appreciate and help. Also Ive been looking at turbos and wondering do they even make a rebuild kit for these turbos?

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
Re-read the install directions on the MM. Maybe something didn’t get unplugged. What is the coolant temp when you see white smoke? I can get some white/blue smoke right around 100° under light throttle and light load but only through a small temp window and then it’s gone.

Cmh07

Reaction score
Yea I did the unload and reload on the MM and same thing. But its usually from about 60-120is degrees when the smoke happens and only around 13-1500 rpms

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
You might be blaming the wrong things.

When I installed the same setup that you have, first thing I noticed was funny shifting. I have 180K miles. I returned to stock fuel settings. Been pretty happy with it.

I haven't seen what you have, well maybe, I have had horrible mileage but the temp hasn't been above 10 degrees in a while.

Weird thing I have is every now and then in 2nd gear my truck will have no power and turbo boost guage will peg out. As soon as I let it upshift all is well again.

Want to blame the MM but realistically it is a stuck turbo or something else.

Latest posts

Members online