2016, 650 miles W/ CEL

06-sixoh

Reaction score
Parked it at LAX for a week while in TX visiting family. Came back, valet pulled the truck around, got 20 miles down the road and the CEL light came on. SOB

Got another 100 miles on the clock, and the light cleared. ran some errands in town, and the light never came back. I did notice some sort of hot smell. Maybe like a burning rubber smell, but i couldnt find anything that supported that.

Anyhow, the only thing I can think of is the truck missed the regen around 500 miles when the GF was driving to LAX last week, and the truck wasnt happy. I havent had a chance to get the code pulled, or get the truck into the dealership.

Any thoughts?

06-sixoh

Reaction score
LOL
Thats what I told the GF. I rented a truck to get down there so that the GF could drive it down a few days later, so I think its mad I drove a dodge down there.

I was a little peaved about having a check engine light before 1000 miles on the clock and then having the smell, whatever it was. I havent even had a chance to pull the jeep anywhere. If I didnt have that premium warranty, I would just ****** it all and tune it.

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
That smell is the regen burning HOT. I remember that smell. LMAO

As far as the CEL if you can post the code it helps.

06-sixoh

Reaction score
If I can get the code pulled, I will post. If it pops up again, I will just take it to the dealer. love that warranty. Also, the GF was driving AGAIN today, and at the 800 mile mark it regen'd and she said she would have noticed it at the 500 mile mark. So shes pretty confident it didnt regen at 500 miles. So maybe there's a faulty sensor somewhere in there.

Reaction score
The burning rubber stink is normal. Ive only had one regen in my 2016. Ran it for a little, parked it and let it idle to cool down. Noticed that smell RIGHT away. But Id imagine youd need to check the logged fault code history to know exactly why it came on before. Sounds like everything is checking out ok though if it regened after the check engine light went away.

Jomax

Reaction score
If a regen gets skipped, these trucks goes crazy on the dash. I've had mine say turn off truck and service NOW.

Was out hunting and kept turning the truck on and off, so it never regened.

Didn't care and drove it. Finally regened and all was good and everything went away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Yep they all do it lol. Our work dodges are constantly going into reduced power mode and then you drive them for 15 minutes, it does its thing and it's happy again.... They pop codes with the EGR valve getting stuck 90% open or closed. Hook up to a trailer and drag it for 30-45 minutes and then it's all good haha. Get em nice and hot and they clean out half ass good. Damn emissions BS...

06-sixoh

Reaction score
Ok, that's what I was hoping, and just assumed that's how the new exhaust smelled. On my last PSD, I just had a pipe for exhaust. lol

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Mine had the same smell most likely the other day and it was regen. Forgot what it was like since all the stuff got scared on the 08 and fell off.

06-sixoh

Reaction score
I havent seen the truck regen or smelled that smell since 800 miles.

This regen business is all new to me, and frankly its a little unpredictable and seems a little unreliable.

Latest posts