250* coolant temps

Reaction score
I've read ECT with AE and the scan gauge on my truck a bunch of times(OBS 5 speed) and it reads accurate once it's above like 160*. Before that it reads a bogus number. That's weird b/c I've always been told that the OBS trucks won't read accurate ECT with a scan tool..

I have read ECT on two SDs with manual transmissions with AE and it read accurate, but on one of them it showed EOT to be like 300* at all times, so something was up with that.

Tom S

Reaction score
I too have seen bogus readings from AE on coolant temp. If you are worried I would install a real temp gauge even if only temporarly to alleive your concerns or verify a problem. You could just temp install a inexpensive parts store gauge.

Reaction score
I too have seen bogus readings from AE on coolant temp. If you are worried I would install a real temp gauge even if only temporarly to alleive your concerns or verify a problem. You could just temp install a inexpensive parts store gauge.

That's what I would do. If ECT is at 250* and EOT is normal at 201*, I'd get a real gauge on the coolant to verify. That's way too large of a gap.. They usually run about 0-5* different on every truck I look at depending on how hard it's being driven.

2000wa250

Reaction score
That is what I am planning on doing. Bigger question is are those EOT acceptable? Im going to be running twin pumps and am worried about running into issues with the oil getting too hot. It kind of feels like I have better throttle response with the lower oil temps, after it gets to 180 but before its higher than say 194-5. Maybe im crazy for thinking that.

Tested the fan and I didn't really feel much resistance from trying to spin it by hand this morning before running it and after bringing the truck up to temp and running it for awhile. I don't think I've ever heard my fan run, but that might just be because I haven't heard it and known that's what it was

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

bfife

Reaction score
My handshaker reads 250-330 at ECT on AE. talked with my tuner and he said ignore it. the PCM doesn't care what the sensor says. I changed the only sensor I could find and it still reads the same. oil temps never never over 215, even pulling 18K up a 8% grade.

Barney

Tom S

Reaction score
Infared temp gun would be a quick and easy way to verify your temps.

I have never really been happy with how those work for some reason. They seem to have a lot of variance depending on the color of the surface.

2000wa250

Reaction score
My handshaker reads 250-330 at ECT on AE. talked with my tuner and he said ignore it. the PCM doesn't care what the sensor says. I changed the only sensor I could find and it still reads the same. oil temps never never over 215, even pulling 18K up a 8% grade.

Barney

This would be what I've been looking for. Thank you.

As far as oil temps, what is the best range for the engine, injectors, and everything else? I will be going to twin hpops soon so that will be a factor. Im running t6 synthetic but if this is not an oil that can handle temps then im willing to switch

bfife

Reaction score
I've been running the T6 myself for the last couple of yrs. easiest for me to find, especially as often as I'm changing oil. 30k a yr takes a little oil. I know not what the optimum temps would be but as far as oil goes, cooler is better. water temp is different, the hotter the better. remember these things fire on heat.. Best info I can give you is to make sure your radiator is clean.look down between the intercooler and radiator. Is the rad has never been out, I guaranty there is enough dirt, hair, and weed seeds in there to build a small dog. The only way I've found to get it clean it to pull the rad and pressure wash all the s**t out of it. helps a lot on coolant temps on extreme hills.

Barney

2000wa250

Reaction score
Yea once the weather warms up im planning on pulling my rad and intercooler and taking the intercooler to get cleaned out since it is full of oil, and I mean full enough that even with my cc disconnected for almost 6 months it is still blowing lots of oil through the cold side pipe. Ill add pressure washing the radiator to that list as well.

DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Make sure you verify with a gauge. The OBD readings are not correct. Always run the stock or lower thermostat to insure the correct temps. The higher thermostats are WAY too high for our motors.

DP-Tuner

2000wa250

Reaction score
DP, im on my phone so Im not sure which one of you it is, but if that is the case, then how do you account for all the people that are running the 203* without any issues? What would be an issue caused by running the hotter temps?

DP-Tuner

Reaction score
The 203 thermostat is actually 250 coolant with an actual gauge. WAY too hot. My 180 runs 199-203.

DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Sorry missed the last question.

WAY too hot oil temps are an issue with the too hot coolant temps.

2000wa250

Reaction score
Ok....is the EOT gauge read through AE accurate enough? I would assume it is. If it is im seeing temps stable at about 201. What is a better or ideal oil temp?

2000wa250

Reaction score
Ok which brings me back to my other question of what the ideal oil temp range is or where you want it....

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.