3.73s and 37s?

smokedout250

Reaction score
Hey guys asking for a buddy of mine and prolly my self. My friend has an 05 f350 with a 6" lift he's currently running 35s and is wanting to step up to 37s. He's running 3.73s now and really didn't notice a change. I'm thinking on stepping up to the same setup (tires are almost the same price). Now he tows around 5,000lbs every once and awhile I haul about 6k a month of hay. So are 3.73s going to be fine? We both drive around 10miles to work not a lot of in town driving mostly just country roads. I know I would just do it with a 7.3l but the 6.0 isn't as torquey. I will prolly just run them until I put a locker in my truck. So any in put would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wayne

Reaction score
Back when I've had two different 6.0's that had a 6.0 on 35's, I noticed a substancial drop in power going to 37's on both trucks. They also both ran 3.73's. the drop would be comparable to going from stockers to 37's if that has any relevance to you.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I have two trucks on 37's... I ran 180k with 37's and 3.73's without issue. I switched to 4.30's when I blew up the rear end. Wish I had stuck with the 3.73's. Only place I like the 4.30's better is around town in stop and go traffic.

Otherwise the 3.73's did everything better.

Wifes Excursion still has 3.73's...

smokedout250

Reaction score
Okay so I'm gonna notice the drop in power around town but prolly not so much cruising down the road? I plan to swap in 4.10s and a locker at some point down the road. I was originally planning to run 35s but I can pick up toyo 37s for 150$ more. I'm also prolly gonna have to have my tunes change so my shift points will be right

smokedout250

Reaction score
Yeah 7.3 I wouldn't hesitate but idk why I am with the 6.0. I bet ill be fine probably sluggish off the line. And the trans will drop into 4th more

Layson

Reaction score
3.73's and 37's, had it for a couple years and I liked it.

07_powerstroke

Reaction score
When my truck shifts in to od it lugs alot more than it used to with stock tires that is were I notice the biggest diff. Everything it working harder to turn them. Also I am not sure if u are worried about MPG but it sucks I'm never on the highway but i can't get over 11 MPG. Also I wouldn't be surprised if my truck is a full second slower in the quartermile compared to stock tires maybe even more.

smokedout250

Reaction score
When my truck shifts in to od it lugs alot more than it used to with stock tires that is were I notice the biggest diff. Everything it working harder to turn them. Also I am not sure if u are worried about MPG but it sucks I'm never on the highway but i can't get over 11 MPG. Also I wouldn't be surprised if my truck is a full second slower in the quartermile compared to stock tires maybe even more.

Well I plan to regear the truck just gonna take a bit to do it. I'm gonna just try and get by with it until I can do it. It's funny how different 7.3 and 6.0s are I had a friend with a truck on 38s and you couldn't the difference between it and one on 35s.

Layson

Reaction score
Well I plan to regear the truck just gonna take a bit to do it. I'm gonna just try and get by with it until I can do it. It's funny how different 7.3 and 6.0s are I had a friend with a truck on 38s and you couldn't the difference between it and one on 35s.

I definitely could tell a difference between 35's and 37's. That was a big jump in weight. One thing that could also make a difference is Joe and I both are running 4-500ish in horsepower. When I was running 37's I was consistently getting 16-17 and even 18 mpg unloaded on the freeway. If I had any issues towing I would just manually shift it.

Right now I am running 4.30's with 38's and I like the combo. Definitely a little more tow friendly....

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Yeah 7.3 I wouldn't hesitate but idk why I am with the 6.0. I bet ill be fine probably sluggish off the line. And the trans will drop into 4th more

6.0 has more gears, quicker spool and more HP... Not sure how it could be worse then a 7.3...

smokedout250

Reaction score
I definitely could tell a difference between 35's and 37's. That was a big jump in weight. One thing that could also make a difference is Joe and I both are running 4-500ish in horsepower. When I was running 37's I was consistently getting 16-17 and even 18 mpg unloaded on the freeway. If I had any issues towing I would just manually shift it.

Right now I am running 4.30's with 38's and I like the combo. Definitely a little more tow friendly....

I'm running 436hp gonna jump a turbo and change a few things to make close to 475 ish... I know I'm gonna notice the change from the tire but its the look I want I guess I'll try it out if I don't like it ill regear.

Joe- you have a very valid point I have personally never drove a 6.0 with anything other than stock tires. Drive lots of 7.3s. And come to think of it I love how easy the 6.0 spools so I don't see where they would be a problem other than towing which I don't tow a whole lot any ways

Snake

Reaction score
I'll offer the dissenting opinion I suppose. I ran 3.73's with 37/13.50/22 tires for several months before swapping them out for 4.30's. If I had to do it all over again, I'd do it exactly the same (minus the lag time).

My EGT's were about 100* higher on the highway with the 3.73's because the motor was lugging. It wasn't in the sweet spot of the hp / torque curve since the rpm's were lower. The fact the truck was less aerodynamic and heavier also contributed to this I'm sure. Stop and go driving was considerably less fun because of the 3.73's (pretty significant impact on acceleration). Trans temps were 30* higher with the 3.73's. I didn't try to tow anything over 5k lbs, but at that weight I noticed a big drop in performance especially at highway speeds (60-65 mph). Finally, I picked up about 1/2 mpg when I switched to the 4.30's.

The ONLY thing I don't like about the 4.30's is running 75 mph or faster for extended periods. The 4.30's are just a hair steeper than the 3.73's and OEM tire size, so I'm turning approximately 100 rpms more in OD. At 75 mph, I'm spinning 2150 rpms. Just seems like the motor is working harder than it needs to, but I don't think 4.10's would have been enough.

Just my opinion and experiences. You could always run the 3.73's for a while and decide if you're happy.

smokedout250

Reaction score
I'll offer the dissenting opinion I suppose. I ran 3.73's with 37/13.50/22 tires for several months before swapping them out for 4.30's. If I had to do it all over again, I'd do it exactly the same (minus the lag time).

My EGT's were about 100* higher on the highway with the 3.73's because the motor was lugging. It wasn't in the sweet spot of the hp / torque curve since the rpm's were lower. The fact the truck was less aerodynamic and heavier also contributed to this I'm sure. Stop and go driving was considerably less fun because of the 3.73's (pretty significant impact on acceleration). Trans temps were 30* higher with the 3.73's. I didn't try to tow anything over 5k lbs, but at that weight I noticed a big drop in performance especially at highway speeds (60-65 mph). Finally, I picked up about 1/2 mpg when I switched to the 4.30's.

The ONLY thing I don't like about the 4.30's is running 75 mph or faster for extended periods. The 4.30's are just a hair steeper than the 3.73's and OEM tire size, so I'm turning approximately 100 rpms more in OD. At 75 mph, I'm spinning 2150 rpms. Just seems like the motor is working harder than it needs to, but I don't think 4.10's would have been enough.

Just my opinion and experiences. You could always run the 3.73's for a while and decide if you're happy.

Well I plan to swap gears eventually. I would run 3.73s for prolly 4-5 months untill I got the extra cash to have someone do it. Ill be in the rear end to do a locker anyways. I understand the lower rpms I had a jeep that had 205/70r15s I lifted it and went up to 33/12.50s and i could only pull 3rd gear lol I plan to do some towing in the next year or so so ill prolly drop to 4.30s or 4.10s eventually I'm just trying to get by on doing it one piece at a time lol tires and a lift aren't cheap either lol

AKHILF

Reaction score
I have 37's and 3.73's. No problem here. The ficm tune helped out a lot for in town driving. Heaviest i'v towed is a 27' enclosed steel trailer with 5 long track sleds in. I dont know the wait but it's up there.

smokedout250

Reaction score
Well you know I'm gonna bump up my power so if the powers up I might be okay lol but ill prolly still gear it eventually

Snake

Reaction score
I was running a programmer during that time also. To back what the others have said, I didn't experience any damage that I was aware of, but the truck seems a lot more happy with the 4.30's.

Latest posts

Members online