300/200 on factory tune

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
Cool. Not sure what the stock 17* HPOP will do for me, but I reckon I'll find out.

I couldn't tell you how a stock hpop will do since I bought this truck with the Gen 3 and it has no problem keeping up! Yours will drive fine at normal to fun throttle but I couldn't say at wot

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Big Calo

Reaction score
Well it sure is fun to drive right now with the stock 15*. Lol! Feels like it's about 300 or so. I only use about 1/4 or so of the throttle and it's a lot better than trying to push the pedal through the floor with stock sticks.

Big Calo

Reaction score
Just waiting on my plenums to get here so I can get it all done at one time.

I was telling a coworker about it and was getting chills just thinking about getting it going. Lol!

On a side note, any idea if it's worth even trying to get SuperDuty IC pipes to work on an OBS? That's what came with my kit. Debating on trying to make them work or just buy some more from Irate.

TARM

Reaction score
I would have expected it to idle real loppy and run crappy like 96F350kid said. I have never run mine long enough to get the air out without tunes. Only light driving on our back road connecting the fields.

If the tunes keeps the timing conservative and they keep TQ low enough for the stock rods and get fuel in the upper rpms it should live if you do not beat the crap out of it. I like matts tunes but I have lots of respect for Dave and the Swamps crew not to mention having that engine dyno has given them real insight to what is really happening and to know the CP for given combos and tuning parameters.

I think 200% are a great compromise between DD work and perf. If I am reading it correctly you got them second hand from 96F350kid, but who built them? Just curious

I recall when tuning was still raw even 400HP was windowing forged blocks here and there let alone PMRs. Now we have fuel only stock rods holding, at least for some time, at HP in the 600s. IMO the main change is tuning and using larger nozzles for the given planned power, conservative fueling down low and more fueling up high in the rpms band.

But with that stock trans ( OEM rebuild) I would not hold the go pedal down thru the shifts. Might want to make sure to tell whomever you go with for tuning so they can defuel at the shifts a bit and try to keep that thing alive. Good idea to get a perf tuned VB i.e BTS JW etc maybe a better TC but then at that point it maybe best to drop the extra coin for a fully built 4r100.

Big Calo

Reaction score
I would have expected it to idle real loppy and run crappy like 96F350kid said. I have never run mine long enough to get the air out without tunes. Only light driving on our back road connecting the fields.

If the tunes keeps the timing conservative and they keep TQ low enough for the stock rods and get fuel in the upper rpms it should live if you do not beat the crap out of it. I like matts tunes but I have lots of respect for Dave and the Swamps crew not to mention having that engine dyno has given them real insight to what is really happening and to know the CP for given combos and tuning parameters.

I think 200% are a great compromise between DD work and perf. If I am reading it correctly you got them second hand from 96F350kid, but who built them? Just curious

I recall when tuning was still raw even 400HP was windowing forged blocks here and there let alone PMRs. Now we have fuel only stock rods holding, at least for some time, at HP in the 600s. IMO the main change is tuning and using larger nozzles for the given planned power, conservative fueling down low and more fueling up high in the rpms band.

But with that stock trans ( OEM rebuild) I would not hold the go pedal down thru the shifts. Might want to make sure to tell whomever you go with for tuning so they can defuel at the shifts a bit and try to keep that thing alive. Good idea to get a perf tuned VB i.e BTS JW etc maybe a better TC but then at that point it maybe best to drop the extra coin for a fully built 4r100.

Awesome to hear from you TARM, been a while since I've seen you post. I'll try to answer to your points.

I did buy the injectors from 96F350kid, and they were fresh rebuilt by Full Force. The only reason I put them in the truck now was that when I received them they were just packaged loose in individual injector boxes to the point that I could hear them clinking when the UPS guy brought them in. So I was concerned about something being damaged, so after talking to Full Force and doing a visual inspection I installed them to make sure, because I don't want anymore delays than necessary when I install everything.

I also want to state right now that I have no issue with 96F350kid. I talked to Full Force before making the purchase and they gave me a good report for him, and I have no doubt that if there were any issues that he would have been willing to resolve them with me. That is why I didn't drop any names in the post. I realize things happen, and you can't keep your eye on everything that goes on in your business. I suspect that he took care of that on his end. All in all there is no problems with the injectors this far, and I am a satisfied buyer.

Like stated stated above I wasn't planning on installing anything until I got all my parts in, but the situation arose, so I went ahead and installed the injectors, with full knowledge that the truck would not idle/run like a stock or tuned truck. My only concern was that something would be way out of whack with the bigger injectors and could cause damage to the engine in some way. That being said I I am shocked at how well it does idle and run with factory tuning. Idle is a little bit lopey and the throttle is touching, but nothing worse than just a bad tune on a stock truck. It is very drivable and enjoyable right now. I'm pretty much just putting around, not getting over maybe 1/4 throttle but even at that it scoots around really good.

The transmission is a built by a guy that was recommended to me by Matt @ ******** because he does some of their work. Matt will also be doing my tuning as he is only 40 miles from me. The guy guaranteed me it would hold 500hp, and I had him put in for sure a billet input shaft, and not sure what the clutches were, but I do have the paper somewhere. He has since some other work for us, and we are very happy. I forget what the converter was that he put in. I'll have to look when I get home. I'm curious myself now. I know cost isn't everything but I paid $3500 for it and I didn't feel like I got ripped off. Like I said I've sent a lot more work his way. One thing about the shifting is that when it was stock it would bang into all the gears. The whole truck would shake. Now after putting the injectors in it shift as smooth as butter. Only thing I can think is that it requires so little throttle input that it thinks I'm idling everywhere.

Back to the tuning Matt @ ******** will be doing the tunes. I'm super excited to get it all put together.

TARM

Reaction score
Awesome. I was only wondering who actually built them FF PIS UDP etc?

Its awesome you live so close to your tuner. I only get down to Tx every couple years. I try to visit with Matt when I am down there.

Thats good then your tuning will be GTG. Matt did the defueling on mine till I put in the BTS. As I had it with the injectors pulled for the better part of a year I have not gotten back to him for new tunes yet. But that should be taken care of here in the next couple weeks as I have time to work on it again. I really miss my Xcursion. The family does as well as they love having the room.

Big Calo

Reaction score
Yeah, it's nice being able to swing in and talk to those guys. Those X's are really nice. I loved reading through your posts when you were working on it. I've been gathering parts for so long on this truck, I'm just ready to get it all put together and enjoy it. I've been having to sit on the sidelines, now it's time to jump in the game.

TARM

Reaction score
I understand. After all that work I ended up pulling it apart to do more stuff and it sat for almost a year as I just did not have time. Now before any real snow hits here I hope to have it all back together.

Had to swap out the T4 kit which was really rough for a IRate one. Had some WOP intake manfolds to go on. The Dual Termies HPOP from the WOP truck. Reloactings the fuel system to engine bay and moving batteries to OEM spare tire location over left rear wheel.

I really hope that Dahl is not too tall to fit where the either one of the batteries sat. I hope I can pull the tray etc and it will fit. I HATE fuel sstems hanging down below the frame rails. They are just asking for someone or something to screw with it.

ONce thats done then i have a big decision. TO build a DT360 and fuller 6 OD and install it with a adapter to mount the transfer case or go divorced.

OR

Have get the parts together to have a fully built 7.3 Rods coated delipped pistons bedplate 1/2 filled Stage I cam and install compounds. Then have Nate or someone put it together. Not sure I am willing to risk doing it myself as I have not done a rebuild in many years.

Whatever I install its going to have compounds. I really am not looking for crazy power but I want great responsiveness and very clean exhaust.

The rest of the upgrades are more vehicle vs engine related. lets just say I want this X to be very capable. I will start a thread to keep the project visible on here. After year of using trucks etc in the back country, ranches farms road trips etc I have accrued a list of all the things I wanted in this vehicle. Should make it capable of doing just about anything I will ask of it.

What I am really battling with between the two different drivetrains is I would much prefer not have computer electronically controlled powertrain. I swear 90% of the **** we all are hunting down and pulling our hair out over is sensor or PCM related or wiring harness etc.

But the 7.3 would mean far less new parts to buy and old to sell and easier to put together without as much custom work. So....... Honestly not that I would sell it but I think a DT360 Fuller 6-8 would have a higher resale than a built 7.3 bts 4r100 I think there are only a small handfull of X's with manual trans and transfer case add in a real midsize trans and engine yummy yummy.

Big Calo

Reaction score
Wow! That's going to be a beast! The thing that I have Vimeo conclude is that big trucks, high power, and reliability don't mix to well. Lol! The first truck I kinda started to build was a CCLB 4WD standard. It's was just always something. So then I decided that I would keep my work and family trucks basically stock and the have a little truck to play with. It's a lot easier to have a vehicle sitting in the yard that is a toy vs one that I need for work or travel.

TARM

Reaction score
Yeh I figure 600 HP 1100 FTlb is where I want to sit. If I can fuel in the upper 3K range then the TQ number is doable at that HP figure.

With a built bottom end I should not have any issues with that lasting a very long time as I only hit it hard every once in a while I do not treat the right pedal like a on off switch.:evil

I had been using it for SAR work in the GW Forest. Plan to go back to using it for that again once its done. With the seats I can carry 8 full kit. With rear down or out I can handle two strapped to immobilization boards. With the suspension as its setup it can handle all the logging fire cut trails/roads. Eventually converting to 05+ front suspension which will be a combo of 350 and 550 parts.

I am 90% sure I know what I will tow which is nothing too heavy so the rear may get changed to a 4 link coil. I will add bags if needed for payload leveling as I hate the squat/baja look.

Big Calo

Reaction score
It's going to be a beast for sure. With what you have laid out in parts, it should be years before any problems come your way.

Latest posts

Members online