364.5 turbos failing recently.

04cr450

Reaction score
Just was wondering what htt thinks of these turbos failing... I know of 3 now that have failed and were fairly new. Mine has 3k miles on it and not hard miles either and not really having faith in this turbo. Think this is a fluke on these failures? Wonder if htt would accept them back to inspect the internals etc to prevent a another possible failure on the newly installed 64.5's?

JDub

Reaction score
I am unaware of any recent 64.5/70 failures? There were some 5-6 months back that had the standard 270-thrust, and seem to have had extreme drive pressure and a couple that had bearing failure from debris in the oil scarring the bearing surfaces. HT Turbos are covered by a one year warranty against manufacturer defect, such as incorrect tolerances, balancing, assembly, etc...

Any customer is more than welcome to send a turbo in for inspection if they would like...

Side note: I run the 64.5/70 on my personal truck and love it, mine has the standard 270-thrust as I wanted personal proof that if boost/drive ratios stay within reason the 360 isn't needed. With that said, all 64.5 turbos get the genuine borg warner 360 thrust as standard equipment as it does help distribute thrust load seen from the smaller 70mm turbine wheel.

Last edited:

HOOV3R

Reaction score
I believe he is talking about my failure. Was a 270* thrust model that I've had sitting here for a while.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Greg have you been hearing of a lot of failures? What failed? Just curious.

It is weird personally being in the turbo market and hearing about other failures... it gets the wheels spinning and wondering what happened. There is NO TURBO that is 100% bulletproof. They can all fail, sometimes do to bad parts, other times do to customer negligence. I have replaced plenty of turbos do to customer negligence.

I only ask because I have been selling a lot of vgt turbos to guys with failed s300 turbos (mostly s366). When they got pushed hard they would quickly eat up the turbo and need a rebuild. Those 300 series turbos have pretty small pads on the thrust bearing to prevent side load... that is usually what we see fail. A 360 bearing will help but the pad is still pretty small (even thought the bearing itself is huge)... but the oiling pad is what prevents thrust/side load failures.

04cr450

Reaction score
hey charlie, the other two i saw that failed were bearing related and the one with the bearing failure also had the compressor cover literally broke in half at the outlet section....

Actually this is more or less a disappointment statement hear of what i am about to say but when i got my turbo, i believe it was from htt not sure i bought it from matt at ced- the compressor cover on the inside looked like someone took a grinder to it and didn't hold onto it possibly getting away because their were some pretty deep scuff/knick marks on the inside of the cover.. i showed matt this(pictures) and some pieces( cast shavings after you would drill and tap a hole) of the cover was left on the inside of the cover. Some shottie work if you ask me but whatever, 3k miles later its ok still. But after seeing/hearing 3 that failed and the scuffs etc on my turbo it makes me question.

But to your question, i have not heard of alot of failures. Just these 3.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online