38R and injector size???

Badge

Reaction score
Im thinking of converting my OBS turbo over to a 38R but what is the largest injector size i could run with that turbo and make it live? it would just be a DD with occasional towing, no pulling or racing. hopeing people could chime in with real world setups that work.

Badge

Reaction score
what about 250/200 with custom tuning, would this be safe? just for the occasional romping but most the time just regular driving and also anybody have dyno numbers with the 238/100 and 38r?

swamp_ratt

Reaction score
You could do 250/200, but i only suggest that for compounds with the 38r as your top. You would want a 42 as yer atmosphere. 238/100s are more realistic for just the 38r

swamp_ratt

Reaction score
Lincolnlocker has cass 170/100s over a 38r and beans live tuning on stock fuel system and put down just shy of 500 rwhp. And his is still decently economic as a daily driver or whatever else

Badge

Reaction score
so the jump from 238cc to 250cc would make the difference of just the 38r to compounds

Badge

Reaction score
say you did the 250cc/200% and the 38r with the 1.15 AR housing could you not have it tuned down to run this as a good combo. so that way if you decided to install compounds you wouldn't have to up the size of the injectors injectors.

Jason

Reaction score
You could detune the injectors, yes...but what is the point?? Why not go with a properly matched injector/turbo combo, or step up to a modded h2e, and then run your 250cc injector? I will never understand guys running a huge injector detuned, with a smaller turbo. 00rich is running a 200cc hypermax injector, I forget the nozzle size, and a qssb, and putting down mid 500's from his setup, seemingly consistent. Buy once, buy right.

I keep getting the itchy finger to do bigger sticks, but keep telling myself to wait until I can afford to swap the rods out, as I want to do a cam as well.

swamp_ratt

Reaction score
say you did the 250cc/200% and the 38r with the 1.15 AR housing could you not have it tuned down to run this as a good combo. so that way if you decided to install compounds you wouldn't have to up the size of the injectors injectors.

Regardless of sticks you want a 1.15 housing for daily driving.

4duggan

Reaction score
OP , I am in the same situation . Buy injectors you can grow into.

I purchashed injectors to match my previous mods at the time and outgrew them quickly.

Now I have my 38r w/ 1.15 , r/r, in-tank and pre-pump mods, traction bars, BTS trans , ect...

If you are shelling out the funds for the injectors to reach your desired goal than I say " go for it".

As far as the 200% nozzle goes on the 250cc, I cant give any feed back. Reading all the time on here and I too was thinking about this route. Live tuning seems to be the key for these.

I have decided to go with Swamps 250cc/100% because most tuners have been down that road and can supply a chip through the mail that will answer up.

Badge

Reaction score
Exactly I want injectors I can grow into because if I were to buy 238's I know once I had the 38r im gonna do compounds with the 42. And if I did the 250's I could eventually tune into them as my other supporting mods get up to par because I know this setup wont be an overnight project. But if im gonna do its gonna be done right so detuning the 250/200's until the compound setup is installed would be better than buying a similar injector twice and shelling out cash I don't really have twice is stupid.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Regardless of sticks you want a 1.15 housing for daily driving.

Are you saying any size sticks or hybrids? I have the standard 1.0ar housing on mine and still use the ebpv as a engine break when hauling.

OP, most likely my set up is not a good HP number to go off of. Its not probable that anyone will have the HP numbers I do... beans don't even know why its so high.... should be 440-450hp on their dyno.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
modded h2e or GQSSB with 250/100s or 250/200s gets my vote. 38r with 250/100s was fun to drive, but the GQSSB is much more fun

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
I had a 38R, loved it, but i recently upgraded to a GQSSB and havent looked back. lower drive pressures, quieter, allows for more HP, etc. 38r is a great turbo, and it is easy to install, but the GQSSb or modded h2e are better all around imo.

swamp_ratt

Reaction score
Huh? I think you mean a Gt47r

No, i meant 42. If you wwere to go with a 47 somewhere around a 300/200 to a 350/200 would be good!

Are you saying any size sticks or hybrids? I have the standard 1.0ar housing on mine and still use the ebpv as a engine break when hauling.

Jake yer setup is mean. And in all actuality i wouldnt change a thing on yours. But if you stepped up to hybrids in the 238/100 or bigger i would go for the 1.15 otherwise your drive pressure would probably be a little high. Yes a litlle more laggy, but with 238/100s and 1.15 a/r spool should be very similar to where your at now

neverkickn

Reaction score
I had a 38R, loved it, but i recently upgraded to a GQSSB and havent looked back. lower drive pressures, quieter, allows for more HP, etc. 38r is a great turbo, and it is easy to install, but the GQSSb or modded h2e are better all around imo.

Was there anything at all that the 38r did better than the gqssb? Any compromise at all in the switch?

Latest posts

Members online