3rd Blown Intercooler....

DHFF

Reaction score
I've recently had the engine in my truck rebuilt bottom to top and have been driving it about 3 weeks. Got a good turbo from a buddy put on it and after 3 weeks the turbo is ruined and the intercooler blew the end tank off. This is the 3rd intercooler I've done this to with a stock turbo. How does this keep happening? I am running Eric's extreme street tune and have the motor studded but I shouldn't be making enough boost to blow the tank open. I am tired of buying a new one every month so what the hell do I do? Where do I look as far as whats causing it? I am at a loss. Anyone that knows my story knows this truck has been a nightmare. New issues every damn day.....

DHFF

Reaction score
Heres the intercooler

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 118

DHFF

Reaction score
Buy a banks intercooler, it won't happen again

Those are a grand. There has to be something out there cheaper. Not only that it doesnt solve why Im making 40 psi in a stock turbo and blowing boots and intercoolers constantly....

sootie

Reaction score
dumb question but do you have a straight pipe exhaust?

i saw this happen once with a PLUGGED cat

on edit: saw 40psi boost not a blown intercooler.

DHFF

Reaction score
dumb question but do you have a straight pipe exhaust?

i saw this happen once with a PLUGGED cat

on edit: saw 40psi boost not a blown intercooler.

Yes I do have a straight pipe. I dunno whats causing it but its getting expensive.....

bmiller5

Reaction score
7.3 intercooler; thats what a buddy runs in his 05, making 730+ and no issues

DHFF

Reaction score
7.3 intercooler; thats what a buddy runs in his 05, making 730+ and no issues

Perfect I found one for 125 buck. I had read where they were putting the 6.0 intercoolers in 7.3s because they flowed better, but at this point i just want it to stop popping. I will do that.

Still gotta figure out why its making that much boost.

Mdub707

Reaction score
The easiest way around this is just step the tuning down a bit, but I'm not sure that really finds the root cause for us... I'm having a hard time understanding how on earth you're getting that much pressure in the system. 40psi, although not unheard of, is pretty damn high for a stock 6.0 turbo. I wonder what Eric would say about it...

If the 6.0 intercooler flows better, you'd think you'd be building MORE pressure in a less efficient intercooler....

DHFF

Reaction score
Not a bad price. What charger did you put on it?

It has a stock 05 turbo! Thats what is blowing my mind. It did it with a stock 03 turbo as well. I am wondering if its not tuning related. It only does it on extreme street because it spikes to max boost almost instantly.

DHFF

Reaction score
Does the turbo surge alot when letting off the throttle? Like more than normal?

Not that I can tell. It has the typical turbo fart sound when I let out after high boost but honestly I havent driven the truck enough to know whats normal.

I also verified my boost reading by looking at my gauge pod AND the SCT, they are always within 1 psi of each other and they read from 2 different areas so I'd say Im actually getting 40 psi, which is too high for what Im trying to do.

STROKER

Reaction score
Hey I see your in IL i'm in Yorkville, not sure how far away you are from me but I have a stock 6.0 intercooler I'd be willing to give you as long as you pick it up.

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
Sticking vanes could case a huge spike and that would blow the cooler no?

Maybe your vgt control is a little out of control?

Oh and very cool offer Stroker!!

CSIPSD

Reaction score
You can pick up a aftermarket one for about $500 or so, I cant remember the name of the company... I'll dig it up.

However I'm pushing 50+ psi out of a stock 6.0 IC for well over 100k without issue.

DHFF

Reaction score
Hey I see your in IL i'm in Yorkville, not sure how far away you are from me but I have a stock 6.0 intercooler I'd be willing to give you as long as you pick it up.

Thats awesome! Thanks man! Looks like you are up by ****cago so thats a bit of a drive. I really need to figure out why its doing it to be honest or Im gonna end up popping something more expensive. Like head gaskets.....AGAIN.

You can pick up a aftermarket one for about $500 or so, I cant remember the name of the company... I'll dig it up.

However I'm pushing 50+ psi out of a stock 6.0 IC for well over 100k without issue.

So what do you think I should look at? The next turbo is getting taken apart and thoroughly cleaned. I finally got Auto Enginuity and a laptop so I think when I get it back together I'll look at the VGT and see if its possibly out of whack? Seems odd 2 different turbos would do the same damn thing.

So do you think Im hitting higher than 50 to keep popping these things?

Mdub707

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever heard of anyone making 50psi on a stock turbo with stock fuel. I have heard of only a few making 40psi and they all seemed to be 03 trucks with 03 turbo's. You have to be pushing that thing ungodly hard and over speeding it. 40psi is way past efficiency range.

DHFF

Reaction score
Im not though. Since the rebuild I've stood on it 1 single time on the stock tune. It popped the intercooler at half throttle on extreme street. Same as the last 2 times.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online