3rd brake light help!!

cowboy_dan

Reaction score
To replace the light for the 3rd brake light, does the whole housing come out when you take out the two screws, or just the lens? I've had the two screws out, but can't get either one to budge. I really don't want to break the housing or the lens to learn how it's supposed to come apart.

Anybody know?

chromehound

Reaction score
I just used a small flat screwdriver to pry it out, sealed it up with some goop for the windshield to keep water out when I put it back in.

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
Wierd why your having problems getting that off...mine just comes right off with the 2 screws. And goes back on just as easy. As well as it dont leak not one bit. Only thing sealing it is the rubber seal on the light itself.

cowboy_dan

Reaction score
I had to get my truck inspected since I moved to PA.
The 3rd brake light and the cargo lights have not worked since I bought the truck in 2006.
I've tried usually at least once a year to get the housing or lens out to replace the bulbs, but couldn't get either off.

The inspection place got the housing off last night. The plastic around the bulbs had melted slightly and bubbled up enough that it was hitting on the sheetmetal (kinda made the housing look like it had a nice set of female mammories). I guess I just didn't pull it hard enough when I tried to get it off.
They ground down the bubbled portion for me just enough to get the housing to slide back in easily. So hopefully I don't have that trouble again.

If it ends up leaking because we disturbed the seal, I'm going to use some adhesive backed truck camper sealing tape by 3M to seal it back up.

WeBeStrokin

Reaction score
I replaced mine with one of the clear led lights that you can get off of ebay cause mine was melted so bad in the back that I couldn't get another bulb to stay in the lense and plus the one socket was melted as well. And the led ones just plug in to the factory harness.

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
I replaced mine with one of the clear led lights that you can get off of ebay cause mine was melted so bad in the back that I couldn't get another bulb to stay in the lense and plus the one socket was melted as well. And the led ones just plug in to the factory harness.

I Got my clear LED light from Paul at CP

WeBeStrokin

Reaction score
Mine came from Bloomsburg Truck show and I got the guy down to almost nothing on it cause it was the last one he had and it was the last day of the show. If Paul has them then I would get from Paul but I didn't know he had them.

ParkerFly

Reaction score
Those 3rd brake lights suck and are notorious for melting. Mine actually melted a bulb once. It finally got so cracked I replaced it with one of the LED ones I found on e-bay. I think it was around $40ish. Ford wanted $200 for a new one.

MossBack

Reaction score
Those 3rd brake lights suck and are notorious for melting. Mine actually melted a bulb once. It finally got so cracked I replaced it with one of the LED ones I found on e-bay. I think it was around $40ish. Ford wanted $200 for a new one.

My led is acting crazy. I bought it off eBay cuz my stock one burned out. The blue led s for when door is open just flickers and only 1 side works. I need to pull it off but ut has lasted 3 years so I can't complain I guess

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

ParkerFly

Reaction score
My led is acting crazy. I bought it off eBay cuz my stock one burned out. The blue led s for when door is open just flickers and only 1 side works. I need to pull it off but ut has lasted 3 years so I can't complain I guess

Was your's pre-wired (just plug it in and go) or did you have to wire it? I remember seeing some that you had to do some wiring on, but mine was a direct plug in replacement. Blue LEDs on the sides and red in the middle with a chrome housing.

Latest posts

Members online