4" downpipe in an OBS

JD3020

Reaction score
Who here has actually put a 4" downpipe in an OBS? I'm looking for some pics on where to clearance the firewall to fit one without a body lift. This is how the truck currently sits, and i'm hoping to start putting it together in the next couple weeks so i need to get something done while its apart.

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/f...6_10203808077424838_5753421231780735960_n.jpg

Next question, does anybody make/sell a 4" downpipe? Or could i use the 4" DP out of my SD parts truck?

ghohouston

Reaction score
If you google it, there has been quite a few people who pulled it off. I researched it a while back, and looks like a good bit of cutting into the firewall.

ghohouston

Reaction score
The 3" down pipes I've installed weren't all that bad, but it also depends how far back the motor sits. He said he did t want to lift the body, so he will have to cut a large section of firewall/floor out, and then weld patches back in.

JD3020

Reaction score
Do you happen to have any links or remember where you saw some posts? Currently on my phone so googling stuff is a bit of a challenge.

I do know in the past i've read where guys have cut out a large section of the firewall and welded in a piece of pipe to create a tunnel, but i don't think i've seen any pictures. Hell i don't even remember where i read that, and i couldn't find it the other night.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Send me a phone number and ill text you pics. I don't wanna hassle with uploading them. I saved two pics I found clearly showing the firewall mods...

StrokerGuy86

Reaction score
your truck looks like my twin i could of used alot of part haha. But a 4 inch will require tunneling you fire wall some. I have had some 3 inch pipes go in pretty easy. A 4 could be a little pain but very doable

Bair

Reaction score
Yeah I cut out a section of firewall on mine. Then semi flattened a 6" pipe to weld over the opening to clear a 4" down pipe. And my truck has a 2" body lift. Yeah it's tight.

golfer

Reaction score
Who here has actually put a 4" downpipe in an OBS? I'm looking for some pics on where to clearance the firewall to fit one without a body lift. This is how the truck currently sits, and i'm hoping to start putting it together in the next couple weeks so i need to get something done while its apart.

Next question, does anybody make/sell a 4" downpipe? Or could i use the 4" DP out of my SD parts truck?

definitely not worth the effort and cab mutilation.

our 97 drag truck went 10's with a 3" DP and two mufflers, LOL...(truck was a sleeeeeeeper)

Obsledpuller

Reaction score
I agree with Dave here the time/cost to mod the firewall far outweighs the benefit. Unless it's one of those things you just WANT.

Strokersace

Reaction score
I've done it. Cool factor is there just to say I can use a 4" SD downpipe. But DEFINITELY not worth the time, effort, and fabrication!!! Do not, I repeat, DO NOT waste your time! Unless you just want to say you did it.

JD3020

Reaction score
definitely not worth the effort and cab mutilation.

our 97 drag truck went 10's with a 3" DP and two mufflers, LOL...(truck was a sleeeeeeeper)

That right there is enough proof for me!

Couldn't care less about the cool factor, goal for this truck is a clean 5-600hp sleeper. Figured that since the engine and everything is out it may be worth it. But if that truck is running a 3" DP without an issue i won't dick with it. But i'll still clearance the firewall so a 3" will actually fit in the damn engine bay. Plus do a little massaging up top so the 468 will clear good.

m j

Reaction score
very little to make the 468 fit
the downpipe for it is pretty major damage though
my truck had a 3" downpipe from the previous owner and I had to rape it a lot more to get the Irate downpipe to fit
best to add a section to the irate piece and have the clamp in an easy to work on spot

Wayne

Reaction score
I bet you could fit a 3.5" pipe by just stretching the firewall, and do a bit of extra work at the pinch weld. That might be worth the effort. I know with the work I did on my '84 bronco with the '97 7.3l conversion I could have fit one. I got aggressive as I could without tearing the metal, but tore it a bit at the pinch weld. I just filled the hole, and put some primer on it. Of course it wasn't a show truck though.

Latest posts

Members online