40-45 mph hop/vibration issue

Jomax

Reaction score
Oh I've got the hop too. Mine isn't necessarily only at 45-50. Mine happens more on certain roads at highway speeds. But certain roads, even really bumpy ones, it doesn't do it at all.

How many miles?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
I'm going to go out on a limb here, older trucks didn't do it. "Pre 2008". Could it be that going to a softer rear spring caused the shocks to have to work more. Causing the springs to overpower the shocks? I mean, I personally think all these full size trucks need 2.5in shocks. These things are heavy, hit a off angled driveway quickly and they rock like a boat.

Do the 450 Dually's do it? They have stiffer springs in the rear.

Just some food for thought, Jared did say going to 2.5in shocks fixed it completely for him and his friend. I have ZERO hop, but I have 3.0 rear shocks and Deaver springs.

TripleE44

Reaction score
Are there holes where there used to be a carrier bearing? Did they replace some two's with a single piece? Or was 11 in fact yhe year they figured out what weve known for years?

No holes above where mine should be

How many miles?

93k miles. It's done it since I bought the truck at 45k, factory shocks, then bilstein 5160s and now my Carli commuter fox 2.0s. The foxs have seemed to make it a little more tolerable. I halfway want to buy the Carli springs to see what that does, but if it does nothing I'm just gonna be more pissed when it happens than I am now. The shooting in the dark thing is damn annoying.

Jomax

Reaction score
No holes above where mine should be

93k miles. It's done it since I bought the truck at 45k, factory shocks, then bilstein 5160s and now my Carli commuter fox 2.0s. The foxs have seemed to make it a little more tolerable. I halfway want to buy the Carli springs to see what that does, but if it does nothing I'm just gonna be more pissed when it happens than I am now. The shooting in the dark thing is damn annoying.

All those shocks are still 2.0 diameter shocks? I wonder what's Carli's take on this.

TyCorr

Reaction score
You have to find the problem otherwise, you are just guessing. If ford ditched the carrier bearing, did they upsize the shaft?

Im not a chassis engineer but a tuned 6.7 could run 100mph pretty readily. And at that spot where you are getting feedback is the ***kin shaft trying to pretzel?

TyCorr

Reaction score
Suspend the rear by the frame and see when **** starts getting wonky.

The shaft overspeeding and its transfering that arc of death the shaft is committing to the suspension?

TripleE44

Reaction score
All those shocks are still 2.0 diameter shocks? I wonder what's Carli's take on this.

Yeah, they are 2.0s. Again with the shooting in the dark on the 2.5s though, if I spend the $2500 or whatever for the Kings I'm gonna be upset if it still hops. I've also read where people said traction bars fixed the hop. And I've got traction bars, they did zero for the hop.

When it comes down to it, if I could come up with a pretty sure fix, I'd be in, but for 95% of my driving everything rides awesome. It's just that 5% of the roads that it gets weird.

johnp115

Reaction score
Yeah, they are 2.0s. Again with the shooting in the dark on the 2.5s though, if I spend the $2500 or whatever for the Kings I'm gonna be upset if it still hops. I've also read where people said traction bars fixed the hop. And I've got traction bars, they did zero for the hop.

When it comes down to it, if I could come up with a pretty sure fix, I'd be in, but for 95% of my driving everything rides awesome. It's just that 5% of the roads that it gets weird.

I noticed the same thing with my 6.4... 95% of the time it rode like a caddy but there were those certain roads that I could drive at a certain speed and I didn't know if I was going crazy or not thinking it was hopping lol. Still unsure if it actually was or it was the road.

kampy

Reaction score
I'm going to go out on a limb here, older trucks didn't do it. "Pre 2008". Could it be that going to a softer rear spring caused the shocks to have to work more. Causing the springs to overpower the shocks? I mean, I personally think all these full size trucks need 2.5in shocks. These things are heavy, hit a off angled driveway quickly and they rock like a boat.

Do the 450 Dually's do it? They have stiffer springs in the rear.

Just some food for thought, Jared did say going to 2.5in shocks fixed it completely for him and his friend. I have ZERO hop, but I have 3.0 rear shocks and Deaver springs.

Yeah, older trucks did it too,
I've had a 96 350 that shook, a 99 250 that didn't shake, a 00 350 that shook and have a 06 450 work truck with an 11 ft service body that shakes like a crack whore from 36-39 and 55-68

My 14 350 also has it at 44-45, I just try to not drive that speed.

Jomax

Reaction score
Hmm, I wonder, carli moves the axle forward with their Deaver springs. Looking on the side, the tires aren't centered. They become perfectly centered at compression. I wonder if that helps any? I have zero issues, other than expansion joints I get a hop at all speeds before 80mph, after 80 it's prefect with my truck. But that is ANY truck.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
got this truck in at work.. its a 2010 5.4l... hops 35-40 mph. smother then my 6.7 everywhere else.
a587bcee3e545eea443049cea8c038de.jpg

live life full throttle

Last edited:

Layson

Reaction score
Hmm, I wonder, carli moves the axle forward with their Deaver springs. Looking on the side, the tires aren't centered. They become perfectly centered at compression. I wonder if that helps any? I have zero issues, other than expansion joints I get a hop at all speeds before 80mph, after 80 it's prefect with my truck. But that is ANY truck.

You have a shortbed.... Typically you don't see shortbeds with this issue. Mainly long bed crew cabs.

We took a brand new crew cab long bed platnum truck off the lot the other day and it had the 45 mph hop....LOL

Jomax

Reaction score
You have a shortbed.... Typically you don't see shortbeds with this issue. Mainly long bed crew cabs.

We took a brand new crew cab long bed platnum truck off the lot the other day and it had the 45 mph hop....LOL

How the heck do they still sell?

Layson

Reaction score
LOL... It was funny. We took it out and we hit the highway and I said... now slow down to 45 and my friend looks puzzled at me... then the truck starts bouncing up and down ....LOL...

Jomax

Reaction score
LOL... It was funny. We took it out and we hit the highway and I said... now slow down to 45 and my friend looks puzzled at me... then the truck starts bouncing up and down ....LOL...

What did the salesman say?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
i may have accidentally stumbled upon a possible temporary fix for most of the hop issue i have... ill report more about it when i am certain it changed it...

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.