4r without pcs??

fordman2121

Reaction score
Ok so I got to thinking last night, I was drinking, but is there a way to get the factury TCU to control a 4r instead of a 5r? It can be customed tuned, so why not? I am in no need of doing this(yet) just wondering.

Cory S

Reaction score
my guess you would have to spend way more time and money to TRY to get it to control a 4r100 than it is worth. it doesnt even seem logical to try to do with the availability of PCS

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Part of the whole problem with making a 5r shift correctly is all of the safety parameters built into the tcm. There are things like calculated gear ratio Ect. Basically the better route would be to use a pcs to control a 5r

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Dzchey21

Reaction score
There are allot of reasons more than I just mentioned but things that keep the converter from locking like converter efficiency tables Ect. There are engineers that spend their lives thinking of.junk to.save the transmission and make.them.live longer.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I personally am prob going to try a 5r with a PCs and see how it works

Danny26

Reaction score
I personally am prob going to try a 5r with a PCs and see how it works

Would that get rid of the previous mentioned problems? Hope so as the 5r seems to hold the power better.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Tuning has Ben getting better with the 5r but there are still so many tables there to.get around its crazy.

A PCs will lock the converter at 0mph with the truck in park if you tell it to. So that being said there aren't as many safetys and there is no Trans learning so transmission life may or may not suffer as things wear out. You could always run the factory tcm on the street and run the PCs down the track. Prob going to be my winter project among other things. I'm still not totally giving up on the factory tcm as of now

fordman2121

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys. Like I said it was just an idea. I was just thinking since the TCU can be programed that it could work. Ive helped tune a 4r with a pcs and its amazing what it can do. And DZ couldnt those "safety" features be shut off, like an egr valve in a pcm? Plus it could be told to either learn or not learn(I would think) as the trans wears. I understand at this point it would only be tuners with the capability to tune one. But why cant a programmer become available for the tcm and have the same adjusability as a pcs? It could be used for the 5r as well.

I also thought that the 4r was still holding more power and was faster? Built I mean.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Ok so I got to thinking last night, I was drinking, but is there a way to get the factury TCU to control a 4r instead of a 5r? It can be customed tuned, so why not? I am in no need of doing this(yet) just wondering.
Of course it can be done. ANYTHING is possible given enough time and money.

This will take more time than you can believe, and it will cost more than a brand new F-550 fully loaded, but it could be done.

First you'll need to modify the hardware in the TCU. The solenoid drivers in the 5R TCU controls VFS solenoids. The shift solenoids in a 4R are both on/off, not VFS. The hardware is not compatible. The 5R shift solenoids will not fit, nor work in a 4R.

Next you'll need to write a new program to run in the TCU. It will take WAY more than tuning. Tuning just changes the constants in the program to change how firm and when the trans shifts. You'll need a totally different program to make this work. It would take me pages to describe why, you'll just have to trust me on this one.

It isn't impossible, but it is so close to impossible that it might as well be impossible.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
so heres a stupid question.

why cannot the trans programming from a 7.3, which came with the 4r, be input into the tcm.

why can the tcm not be wiped blank, and 7.3 tuning input. would this not "disable all safeties?"

could a guy who is well versed in electrics, check, diagnose, trace, and pin out select wires to make new connectors, thus making the tcm control a 4r?

Smokyred

Reaction score
so heres a stupid question.

why cannot the trans programming from a 7.3, which came with the 4r, be input into the tcm.

why can the tcm not be wiped blank, and 7.3 tuning input. would this not "disable all safeties?"

could a guy who is well versed in electrics, check, diagnose, trace, and pin out select wires to make new connectors, thus making the tcm control a 4r?

Reread Mark's last post, #12, he says it is a hardware issue as well as a software issue.

Dave

Latest posts

Members online