4r100 durability.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
Another 4r thread ! Yess!

Question is at what hp level are billet shafts a necessity . I'm looking at going for 575ish, a few sled pulls a year, and some passes. Turbo will be here soon. But I don't know how long mine will last at that power.

Smoked a bit
Turbo lit
That was it

littleredstroker

Reaction score
Not an automatic guy, but if you're talkin that hp, along with the sled and strip, you'll want a bts from the very beginning

Which is the plan. I've got everything but billet shafts now. I wouldnt dream of pulling with this, at that hp level. But I wonder if driving at this hp level for a few moths would be ignorant

Smoked a bit
Turbo lit
That was it

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I've never been above 520hp...

BUT...

I've never broken a shaft...

Foward drum, center support but never a shaft.

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
Foward drum is pretty easy to break. Input ,foward drum and the od planet will likely be your weakest link.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
It's Joe...

Douche stacked with douche...

J/K!!!

LOL...

You would be suprised how easy I drive day to day... The differance is I drive the same speed and style when I am empty or when I am pulling 12-14k...

I bet I dont go WOT 2 times a month...

DocBar

Reaction score
Which is the plan. I've got everything but billet shafts now. I wouldnt dream of pulling with this, at that hp level. But I wonder if driving at this hp level for a few moths would be ignorant

Smoked a bit
Turbo lit
That was it
What do you mean by the bolded? A PI TC and a BTS valve body should help the trans live. Still going with Matt's tuning? In my experience, the hard launches from a dead stop are the hardest on the drive line. Rolling into the throttle will help a bunch. Matt's tuning will help a bunch, also. On my truck, he keeps the torque fairly low. I'm not into huge torque numbers. If I can't pull it with <1000K torque, I don't need to pull it.

Last edited:

littleredstroker

Reaction score
What do you mean by the bolded? A PI TC and a BTS valve body should help the trans live. Still going with Matt's tuning? In my experience, the hard launches from a dead stop are the hardest on the drive line. Rolling into the throttle will help a bunch. Matt's tuning will help a bunch, also. On my truck, he keeps the torque fairly low. I'm not into huge torque numbers. If I can't pull it with <1000K torque, I don't need to pull it.

I bought it from a friend of mine who built it, he couldn't remember brands but he said it had a Tripple disc tc upgraded clutches and a valve body.

I am by no means expecting it to live long, am just curious if throwing on the turbo would cause it to break the first wot run
Smoked a bit
Turbo lit
That was it

DocBar

Reaction score
I bought it from a friend of mine who built it, he couldn't remember brands but he said it had a Tripple disc tc upgraded clutches and a valve body.

I am by no means expecting it to live long, am just curious if throwing on the turbo would cause it to break the first wot run
Smoked a bit
Turbo lit
That was it
I wouldn't think so, especially with Matt's tuning. Matt uses the whole throttle range, not just the 1st 50%. That will help keep power levels from shocking the drive line.

David N

Reaction score
At the very least do a billet input.

You know the power levels I'm at, and I drive the living piss out of my truck too, but, I broke an input shaft, off, inside the converter, and couldn't get it out. I ended up having it shipped off only to find out I'd be better off buying a new converter after what I'd have in this old one.

So lesson learned for me.

PsdPullerJr

Reaction score
I had almost 4 years of sled pulling and 40k miles on my stock trans, just a factory tech valve body. Upgraded to 230/100s start of pulling year and put h2e on little after halfway and factory convertor went out. Took the trans to rebuild shop and they said it looked like new yet that I could have put a convertor in and kept going. Truck had 98k on it at that time, had a superchip or ts chip on it at 54k when I got it, don't know what may have been before that.

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
when I talked to Brian, most of the transmissions heading out are still only either a factory input or cryod factory input shaft.i don't pull with mine but when I broke the trans the first thing I checked was if I broke the input and it still looked great.

David N

Reaction score
I guess I'll add as well, I've broken the od planetary as well. I'm probably 550 or so on power. But I am extremely rough on my trans. LOL

Wicked

Reaction score
My trans is still holding... Stock trans 120k with light mods and then 20k more with the power in my sig... I run it most of the time on the 425hp tune... BTS converter/VB/pump mods is all the trans has.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.