4r100 learning

b00stleak

Reaction score
Hey guys, I searched around a bit but couldn't find the answer. Is the transmission able to learn after a programmer/chip is installed? Or is it locked into whatever the tune's parameters are?

Swaan

Reaction score
Correct me if I wrong but I don't think adaptive learn stradigy didn't come out till the 5r110. I don't think the 4R is that smart.

Swaan

Reaction score
Is there not a option for shift firmness on your programmer?? My old SCT I could adjust the line pressure on any shift I wanted too.
I got it just the way I liked it after some tweaking

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
I could've sworn there was a thread on here a few years back where PHP was saying there was learning and DP Tuner was saying there wasn't. I thought Bill posted a screen shot of the learning strategy controls. Guess I'm mistaken though. But it turned into a bash fest.

b00stleak

Reaction score
I could've sworn there was a thread on here a few years back where PHP was saying there was learning and DP Tuner was saying there wasn't. I thought Bill posted a screen shot of the learning strategy controls. Guess I'm mistaken though. But it turned into a bash fest.

See that's what I thought. I just put on an Edge Evolution, the old style. My shift points changed, but they are not as firm. It's only been on for a few days and lots of highway miles. Time will tell I think. If all else fails, I have the tugger kit just sitting there staring at me, waiting to be put to work.

Swaan

Reaction score
Well kavolskey would know. He said the gas ones did and the diesel version did not. He was the head trans guy at Ford when they designed those. I'm sure his word is golden.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Really? I got promoted! Do I get more money, too? :joy:

In reality I was an engineer. I was many levels away from being the head trans guy.

Swaan

Reaction score
All I know is you had a part in the design of the 4R .
So if anybody is going to know the answer to the ops question it is going to be you.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
There is no learning in the 4r... IIRC there is some learning in the PCM in regards to the 4r, buts its little if anything to be concerned with.

Arisley

Reaction score
Is there not a option for shift firmness on your programmer?? My old SCT I could adjust the line pressure on any shift I wanted too.
I got it just the way I liked it after some tweaking

What you are referring to is not adaptive learning. While you can adjust the shift points and shift firmness, the transmission will not learn them and adjust them on it's own. It only does what it is told.

Swaan

Reaction score
What you are referring to is not adaptive learning. While you can adjust the shift points and shift firmness, the transmission will not learn them and adjust them on it's own. It only does what it is told.

Yeah I know that.

He was complaining his trans shifts soft so I recommended turning up the firmness with is programmer. Nothing to do with adaptive learning ..

psduser1

Reaction score
See that's what I thought. I just put on an Edge Evolution, the old style. My shift points changed, but they are not as firm. It's only been on for a few days and lots of highway miles. Time will tell I think. If all else fails, I have the tugger kit just sitting there staring at me, waiting to be put to work.

Ummm, maybe the tune on the edge?
Custom tuners should be able to help you.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
All I know is you had a part in the design of the 4R .
So if anybody is going to know the answer to the ops question it is going to be you.
Technically I never worked in the 4R100 department. But I did work in a team that supplied transmissions to an off road race team. Over the years we built E4ODs, then 4R100s, then 5R110s for them. We won several championships and many races, including the Baja 1000 several times.
There is no learning in the 4r... IIRC there is some learning in the PCM in regards to the 4r, buts its little if anything to be concerned with.
No transmission has learning. The adaptive software resides in the PCM. The gas 4R100 models do have adaptive, the diesel models do not. A different software group wrote the diesel 4R100 software, and they didn't believe that they could make adaptive work with a diesel. They were wrong, as we showed them with the 5R110.

b00stleak

Reaction score
Ummm, maybe the tune on the edge?
Custom tuners should be able to help you.

Eh I'm gonna drive it like this and see if anything changes. The edge was free so I will just experiment a little and see what happens. If nothing changes after I get quite a bit of stop as go driving, then I will put in my tugger kit. Buying another chip doesn't make sense. I just want a little more performance out of this truck, not max effort.

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
Did you have achip/tuner before you installed this?

Mark K. could agree or tell me I should shut up, but you could be noticing a wore out transmission. While your engine was running stock, the transmission may have felt strong but now that you've upped the power levels, an 'ok' transmission for stock power is not able to handle the new hp/tq...

b00stleak

Reaction score
Did you have achip/tuner before you installed this?

Mark K. could agree or tell me I should shut up, but you could be noticing a wore out transmission. While your engine was running stock, the transmission may have felt strong but now that you've upped the power levels, an 'ok' transmission for stock power is not able to handle the new hp/tq...

It was all stock. I turned the Edge up to the highest setting and it brought back the shift firmness. I'm not sure how many miles the trans has. I know its been replaced. The truck has 330k. This is the first time its ever had anything on it.