4r100 slipping in reverse. need advice.

Reaction score
Truck is a late 99 F-350 CCLB DRW. Back in the spring. We were pulling a trailer to the Hatfield McCoy trails. the transmission got really hot going over the mountains. Not sure on temp (no gauges) but when we got there and stopped it boiled fluid out on the ground. It never slipped any until it boiled over then it wouldn't move so we let it sit. I went and found 6 quarts and got it back to full. On the way home it did fine. Since then it is really slow going into reverse and slips when you give it throttle. But it acts normal in all the forward gears. The truck is my dad's and he didn't change the fluid til today. He said it was very burnt and very black but there were no shavings in the pan. Changing the fluid didn't help it any it still slips in reverse only. The truck is all stock with dynoproven tunes and a bts valve body. Does this sound like a pump issue or are the clutches gone? I'm kinda stumped since it does not slip in drive. The truck only has 135,xxx on it and has never been hot rodded any. Any ideas or advice are greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Oh if it was mine I would rebuild it. Especially before it totally went and messed up stuff that might have been fine to begin with. But it's my dad's and I guess he just don't want to go thru pulling it if he don't have to. I even offered to pull my bts out and put in his truck til he could afford to rebuild his but he don't want to do that either. I just wanted to see if anyone thought it might have just been something simple that could be fixed without pulling it.

Jomax

Reaction score
Clutches, my dually did the same thing. Worked great, but lost almost all of reverse.

You need a rebuild

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Thanks for the input fellas! That's kinda what I thought but just wanted to hear it from someone other than myself to convince my dad. Lol I have a buddy who just rebuilt his own and he offered to do this one for my dad. I guess it's time to start ordering parts.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.