4R100 Trans Cooler Lines

Platinum250

Reaction score
Hello all, well John Wood is currently building my transmission and while I wait I am trying to figure out the cooler line situation. He said he is including a 6.0 tranny cooler to replace my stock 7.3 one. The only issue I am running into is I broke one of the lines going into the transmission and I need to find a way to replace it. Since he removes the bypass I don't need to worry about it anymore I was trying to find fittings that would allow me to thread lines into the stock cooler drain check valve that goes in the back of the tranny and then into the output to cooler from the front of transmission. I have searched and searched over the internet and there reallly isn't much help. Does anyone who has done a 6.0 cooler know what fittings I have to buy to make this happen?

Thanks for your help,

Derrick

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Tell him to leave the damn bypass in... I nearly lost my trans a few months ago because some jackhat thought it was a good idea to remove the bypass.

NEVER again...

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
I believe they are 3/8", and they use the double-flare fittings that come on brake lines. I just had to repair a trans cooler line i nicked at the 90* while cutting the exhaust on a obs i'm working on here, and i repaired it with a 5/16" section of brake line (OBS use smaller line)

CSIPSD

Reaction score
More to the story?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Some Builders think its a good idea to remove a PRESSURE bypass that has NOTHING to do with temperature in the mistaken idea that it will keep temps down.

Its a pressure bypass, it opens when there is a restriction in the cooler circuit. Without it, if there is a problem, then the rear of your tranny gets NO FLUID FLOW.

Its a dumb idea and solved no problems.

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
i belive JW removes them because he states that by the time the bypass in needed and used, your trans is already trashed. but thats just what ive heard from someone who had their trans built by him

CSIPSD

Reaction score
i belive JW removes them because he states that by the time the bypass in needed and used, your trans is already trashed. but thats just what ive heard from someone who had their trans built by him

Horse crap... I dont care if he is "one of the best"... Thats total crap. If your cooler lines get blocked, be it from a pinched line, a bird strike on the cooler or something along those lines, without the pressure bypass your screwed.

Leave the fooking thing alone.

7.3 Whitey

Reaction score
Hydraulic pressure is equal on all surfaces. The more restriction I.e. csipsds examples, along with, maybe you have a blocked filter, or you have some metal in the lines plugging the cooler, or anything that restricts flow. It raises pressure. Above a certain pressure, the designer of the cooler decided it would save ford warranty money, or the end user from buying a complete trans. Its a failsafe. Many failsafes are never, ever used. Especially in hydraulics. But I sure as shoot would NOT want to remove one.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
the bypass saved my ass a time or two! working in Minnesota when its negative digits in the winter.. it was just after i got my bts installed and my temp gauge was working its way up to 195° and every now and then it would drop back to 160° so i called brian and he asked where i was at and said that i needed to block my front fluid cooler with a chunk of cardboard. i was like, huh? he said the fluid was cooling to much and freezing... said when the temp dropped to 160 was because of the bypass and if it wasnt there i would have destroyed my trans.... i said really? yup, hard to believe that you can over cool the fluid... sure as chit! blocked it off and it stayed on the peg below 100° on my gauge.

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online