4X4 conversion

Spindrift

Reaction score
My brother is looking to convert a low mileage '96 to four wheel drive. Any particular roadblocks with this project? Thanks.

brewer

Reaction score
I'm assuming he's using a D60? Biggest problem will be all the work and mainly just finding all the pieces. Like said above, an RSK will help. There'll already be a hole in the floor where the TC shifter goes, just need to pull the rug and pop out the cover. He'll need:
axle (including track bar and bracket)--CHECK gear ratios to make sure they're the same
TC, TC crossmember, and shift boot--check to make sure the wiring harness for the TC is there, may or may not be
trans (4x4 is longer)
trans crossmember
brake lines front/rear
Front shock towers (or make your own mounts)
pitman arm (from F250 or 350, they're both the same)
both driveshafts
Rear 4x4 blocks (2" for F250 and 4" for F350)
Front/ Rear Shocks
Cut out the 2wd pivot bracket

Holes for the Trans and TC support should be there IIRC, as well.

Estrogen Hostage

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of it now. I am doing my own RSK kit to get this done and also agree that it will make it a lot easier. The above comments are right on, it's pretty easy after you get into it.

If he wants a set of the parts I'm making have him send me a PM. I'm hoping to get the front leaf spring holder in this weekend.

Pstroke96

Reaction score
having a complete parts truck will make the job a whole lot easier also so you can get everything you need

Racer X

Reaction score
My brother is looking to convert a low mileage '96 to four wheel drive. Any particular roadblocks with this project? Thanks.

We have transfer cases if needed. Also if anyone doing this conversion has an E4OD 2WD transmission we can convert it to a 4X4 if needed.
Thanks,
Racer

Latest posts

Members online