4x4 engages defrost

WoodBoy

Reaction score
My dad says when he puts his truck in 4hi, it engages fine and pulls fine, but it also turns his vents to defrost. He also said sometimes it can be aggrevating getting it out of 4lo. He does put it in nuetral, backs up, and that good stuff and it will eventually come out.

BigAlsPSD

Reaction score
Generally if the system goes to defrost there is a vacuum leak. I assume he has ESOF?

If so really check the lines going to the hubs, and there is a seal as well that can leak vacuum.

Jason

Reaction score
Pshhhh mine does the same thing. Seems fairly common, actually. At first it irritated the heck out of me, and I would get all pissed off...but ive since learned to cope with it. Cheapest route to fix it (the one I chose), is to just not put it in 4wd. Been using this method for about 2 yesrd now, and that dang defrost hasn't come on once.

jestersv

Reaction score
pull it apart, change hub, hub seals,plug vac line to hub, replace ftg with gease zerk,replace locks with warn manuals and probably not have problems for a long time plus defrost works only when you want it too.

sirnunya

Reaction score
may want to check vacuum pump and all lines. defrost is default position with no vacuum. engaging 4x4 is using vacuum, causing vents to default. Thats also why he can't get it back out of 4x4. I was stuck in 4x4 with a/c blowing thru defrost, tapped vacuum pump connection with wrench and it started pumping. Was finally able to get it out of 4wd

sirnunya

Reaction score
His vacuum pump is working, if it wasn't, it would be in defrost all the time.

it sounds like his vacuum pump is working, at times. Mine was same way.

Something wrong with electrical connection in mine. I would tap pump/connector, pump would turn on until it had vacuum, then shut off. And wouldn't turn back on until you tapped it again, or hit a bump in road hard enough.

Latest posts

Members online